login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

-> Fun:What Types of TV Shows Did You Grow Up W/?

Were all from different areas, so I’m not sure if we had the same shows growing up. What specific shows or types of shows did you grow up with that you enjoyed back then?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Man, I absolutely LOVED the Waltons. I still get teary sometimes when I catch an episode. One of my favorite episodes was about a book burning. That show was about what matters in this world.

I also loved Andy Griffith.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
This is for you, Jeff

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Thanks for the link. Many years ago I went to the actual “Walton’s Mountain”, though it’s not actually called “Walton’s Mountain”. It was the town where Earl Hamner grew up. I saw Ike’s store, and the school and the house. The t.v. version was much more idealized. Ike’s store was more like a convenience store, the house was on a paved street and not out in the woods, and the school wasn’t a one room schoolhouse, but a much more modern looking school. I still loved the show though.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

The Real McCoys reminded reminded me of a little Walton-ish-type show. Family, and earthy (smiles)

The 1st show of the McCoys was in 1957, I watched this sometime in the 60’s when I was in elementary school, when I came home from school for lunch

I too like the the-simple-time-of life shows:
-Andy of Mayberry, -Father Knows Best, -My 3 Sons, -Ozzie and Harriett,
-Donna Reed Show, -The Loretta Young Show, Shirley Temple Festival Show,-The Cisco Kid, The Jack Lalane Show

And of course a bit later can’t forget:
The Ed Sullivan Show, Laugh-In, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, That Girl, The Man From Uncle, Mission Impossible (tv show), The Fugitive (tv show), Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, American Bandstand, Soul Train, The Jackie Gleason Show, The Judy Garland Show, I Love Lucy, Leave It To Beaver, The Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, Bat Masterson, Bat Man, Superman, Dick Van Dyke Show, The Adams Family, Bewitched, Gilligans Island, I Dream of Jeannie,

And Later than than:Phil Donohue Show, Merv Griffin Show, Mike Douglas Show

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I also used to watch The Thin Man. Much later when vcrs and video stores showed up, I’d go to the video store to look for the Thin Man w/Peter Lawford as the star;video store clerks thought I was mistaken.

Peter Lawford was the Thin Man from the 50’s, and reruns played in the 60’s. Yes I was a young one;but I watched Nick, Nora and the dog Asta sometime in the 60’s. I had a secret crush on Peter Lawford;so I knew I was right (smiles).

The Thin Man The Art of Murder

The Thin Man
Asta Day

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

My favourite programmes used to be The Sullivans, Get Smart, M.a.s.h, Lost In Space, Alf, Mork and Mindy, The Waltons, Cojack and a couple of others which has slipped from my mind.

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have two programmes itched in my mind thou cant for the life of me remember the name of them. One programme was about a karake guy, he was a traveller, with a bald head. And the other programme was a western one, High Chapone?

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think your program, which I also enjoyed, was Kung Fu with David Carridine (not bald though) and the western was High Chapparal Sp? I LOVED Star Trek and Gidget and TV in general.

In response to jancydat’s post:
Oh yeah, loved Grasshopper (Kung Fu) (: Star Trek and Gidget. And speaking of Gidget, anyone watch the Flying Nun?

Sci Fi channel is big in our place;star trek-like shows are definitely The shows.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Oh yeah that was the name of them, thankyou jancydat, I used to watch the Flying Nun, Brady Bunch, oh my gosh Ed The talking horse! And The Hillbillys! The Invisible Man, Night Rider.

I just loved Monkey Magic!
And Degrassi Junior High – OMG that was the best show. I even watched the fairly recent revival when Spike et al are all grown up and their kids are now at school. I used to wear my hair like Spike.
And so much Brady Bunch (I was in love with Peter) and Gilligans Island.
Oh yeah, and Magnum PI on Saturday nights!

“Even if you’re on the right track – you’ll get run over if you just sit there” Will Rogers

LOL I used to wear my hair Kate Bush, singer way back then! I loved watching Magnum PI too! I thought he was a spunk! Did anyone enjoy watching Little House On The Piarie, Taxi, 3’s Company and what about Faulty Towers?!

(I thought of two programmes in my sleep last night and I remember saying to myself that I will remember them to share on this thread, a lot of good that did my brain been rattling for ages and the programmes havent come to me yet)

I did like Faulty Towers and Taxi was SOooo funny! Earlier, I remember that I watched “Wild Wild West” religiously. I also feel like I grew up with Patty Duke.

You guys are reminding me of so many great old shows. I too liked Kung Fu, he was so wise and kind could kick all those dudes butts without a gun! And what about that coniving ol Dr. Smith on Lost in Space and that wacky robot, “Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!” And who couldn’t admire Spock with his computer-like mind. I always thought it would be cool if they had a scene where Data from the later series and Spock played chess, don’t you know they could talk for hours! I would love to be a fly on the wall for that convo. I can’t wait for the new Star Trek movie to come out. Did I ever mention to you guys that I’m a complete nerd! An incredibly cool one, but a nerd non the less. If you want to know anything in the world about the Lord of the Rings, I’m the guy that can tell you. And can anyone else relate to what it was like to watch Batman as a kid and not realize how silly it was? I mean, how brilliant he was to solve those insane riddles. It was so logical after all. I can remember when I was a little older, but still not old enough to go out on weekends I used to watch The Love Boat….soon will be making another run….The Loooove Boat…..
Then it was Welcom to Fan…tasy Island….da’ plane, da’ plane.
Isn’t kinda sad at how children are bombarded with what they show now.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

LOL! That robot was so hardcase with the way it used to swing its arms around aye. It looked so silly and scary at the same time.

I used to love watching The Love Boat and Fantasy Island too. Those programmes were filled with love and romance, my ideal!

Hey how about Get Smart? (whew finally one of the programmes came to me) Maxwell Smart was one bright secret agent, he used to have me on the edge of my the seat with his farout concoctions!

I reckon, children are missing out such awesome programmes. Wish the tv producers could do them all as re-runs. Replace the ones that are showing now.

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
I think the shows we grew up were a blast. No computer back then, thank goodness for tv that kept are attention so well.

Have you noticed, tv programs lack the creativity and fun they once had and shows today do not come on scheduled times you can count on, and repeats happen way too soon. What’s up w/that?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Im sounding like a couch potato, my head is just spinning off all these other programmes I used to watch such as Moonlighting, Planet of the Apes, Hogans Heros, Dallas and must not forget The Six Million Dollar Man! The Bionic Woman, Bonzana, The Two Ronnies and Porridge! AAy for me! Porridge was the other one I remembered from last night! Such a relief, I can sleep well tonight lol

Ok ok ok, Im back again, please dont shoot the messenger lol, my partner just rattled off some more programmes.. Charlies Angels, Only Fools and Horses, Open All Hours and The Benny Hill Show.

Please bring these programmes back!

In response to Pure Essence’s post:
good to see some british classics amongst the shows you used to watch. I used to watch Only Fools and Horses, Open All Hours and The Two Ronnies, oh and The Benny Hill Show too. Shows from across “the pond” were The A Team, Bonanza, Dukes of Hazard and The Incrediable Hulk

enjoy life!

In response to laurie’s post:
I remember the Flying Nun :-) used to enjoy it…..although all I can remember is the hat.
I was always a cartoons fan, still am. The old ones, like walt-disney and hanna barbera.

…what a wonderful world….

Hi Aftab! I was recently thinking about my old cartoon favorites and hope that the kids today get some as good, funny and intelligent as some we got. My favorites were Rocky and Bullwinkle, Boris and Natasha and King Leonardo and his Short Subjects. That whole crew! My husband and I even watched them occasionally when we were in our twenties. HA! Okay, Bugs Bunny & friends were also pretty cool.

Laugh in with Goldie Hawn

More Laugh In
Laugh In w/Ring Starr

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I loved Fame! Other greats were The Cosby Show, Different Strokes, Kate and Allie, The Golden Girls oohh and there was a show about a half Alien teenager that I loved and I cant remember the name of it….Any clues??
She used to freeze time by touching her index fingers together!!!

A full and thankful heart..

In response to anoushka’s post:
No but if you find it..post it..You’ve got me curious(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to jancydat’s post:
I loved Patty Duke show and Wild Wild West. Don’t know Faulty Towers.

Dobie Gillis

or

How about Donna Reed? I was just in grade-school..but came home for lunch to watch it(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

60’s part 1

60’s TV part 2

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to Laurie~LovesFocusingWell’s post:

I found it Laurie!!!
Out of this world

A full and thankful heart..

Kung Fu

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I LOVED Get Smart (just love agent 99 and Hymie the Robot), The Addams Family (original version), Star Trek (original version), Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In (Verrrrrrrry Interrrrrresting!), Gidget, Flying Nun (sister Bertrille), Gilligan’s Island, Hogan’s Heroes, I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, The Carol Burnett Show, remember The Munsters?, or Lost In Space?, Batman, cartoons like the Jetsons and Rocky and Bullwinkle with Boris and Natasha, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, Batman and Robin (the original series – loved that Batmobile!), Spiderman (the cartoon) Casper the Friendly Ghost (original cartoon)….. oh this is really taking me down memory lane…. thanks for this thread …. SO much fun!!! bring them back!

AnnieB

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content