login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★New Habit: Mindful Walking

Hey everyone! I posted a thread like this a few months ago. I’m slowly forming more and more good habits in my life, and having public forums where I make myself report my progress makes them stick better.

I’ve already implemented two habits that have stuck pretty well: I have a small exercise routine I do on most mornings, and I write a part of my novel on the train ride to work. Now I’m trying to incorporate mindfulness into my day—every day at 3 PM I’m resolved to put down what I’m working on and take a short, at least 10 minute walk, and just think and exist and let my brain rest from the busywork the occupies it all the time. Kind of a moving meditation. I find that works for me.

I’m going to check back in here and report on my progress about once a week. Hopefully, by the end of the month, this will be as natural a part of my life as the other good stuff.

Thank you all for existing and by your observation, making my life better through self-imposed peer pressure.

you are doing great , I love how you started out with 2 habits and are now adding another one .Wlking is so good for clearing our tumbled thoughts as well as good for our health .

love fllowergirl

In response to tangwystal’s post:
I absolutely love your tenacity & progress. There is some debate whether one should be silent about goals, or share them. I’m believing your way is working quite well. You are a wonderful example. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to hearing about more of your accomplishments.

I love when you said “Thank you all for existing and by your observation, making my life better through self-imposed peer pressure”

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I have a question for you. I believe you once said that you had taken a class of some sort about the advantages of sharing publically.

When do you (or others) believe sharing a goal publicly is most helpful?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

The book/course I’m basing my habit building exercises on is called “The Power of LESS” by Leo Babauta. I love his minimalistic, bare bones approach to life and change. It’s a slender book that is small because it only contains the necessary information. I respect it more than other self-help books that pad themselves with anecdotes and fluff.

I think it’s very helpful in forming minor habits to keep yourself on track. It’s pretty important, for me at least, to have external accountability of some kind to keep me honest. I imagine there are other people for whom it would be less useful. If you aren’t motivated by what other people think (lucky you!) it would be less effective, I imagine.

This particular goal has unfortunately been disrupted. I broke my foot a few weeks ago, and haven’t been able to keep walking, but I’ll be back at it when the cast is off.

I’ve seen a capsule version of the book on the internet….Can book be purchased at the book store? And of course speedy recovery to you(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’m not sure? I ordered it online. It’s a touch old, so brick and mortar stores probably won’t carry it.

Thank you!

Iz be needin’ ta get back into walkin’ mysef.

One thing that really seemed to help me last time I started walking regularly was using a chart/calendar. I put it up on my bathroom door and check it off every day. It was simple and effective at motivating me.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content