login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★After Childhood

I was having a conversation with my sister yesterday and we got talking about childhood and what we miss most about it. Personally, I miss being able to draw and paint without my ego and attitude towards alot things in life getting in the way. Childhood was time when I could draw freely, I wasn’t arsed if it didn’t look perfect or if it didn’t make sense whereas nowadays I find it hard to draw, for example, a fantasy or sci-fi image and the reason I find it hard to draw more freely, I feel, is because I feel that drawing something more realistic and logical is more effective and important. And as a result, I feel that my imagination packed his bags years ago and went in search of a better life. What do you think? Is it normal for our imagination to become harder to use and work with as we get older or is my imagination just more dry than the Sahara? Has anyone on here in creative careers ever experienced something similair?

HD, you bring up good topics. I guess as you get older you are more aware of constraints being placed on you. Sometimes it could be an outside constraint – if you are having to create something to suit someone else – but, most of the constraints on our creativity are put on us by ourselves. Creativity and originality should be separated also. It’s very unlikely that any of us are going to have an original thought, but we can all put our own personality into something to express a thought. DaVinci and Van Gogh could both paint a person, but how they did it was completely different, neither was completely original. They drew on experience. As we get older we know more, we’ve seen more. We compare things. And we grow. We don’t get to “energy equals mass times the speed of light squared” before first understanding “two plus two equals four”. The same goes for art, though art is more free. There is nothing wrong with “Mary Had a Little Lamb”, but as your experience grows you realize that it isn’t “Beethoven’s Ninth”. Your creativity isn’t gone, but your own understanding has grown.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Thanks dude, you’ve helped clear my mind up about this. I’ve took up drawing fictional themes and characters again. I think it’s when I’m feeling down, it has a huge effect on how my visual art works as a whole (I’d say that it’s music that has the greatest effect on my art) I tend to have an over ambitious attitude towards work and I need to learn to reduce that to levels of work I can easily cope with. Thanks for the help :)

Yes,definitely childhood is the best time in ones life and we realise this when we grow up gradually and take the various burdens of life.As a child we have no tensions and lead our life with utmost joy and happiness but as we grow up life shows us various ups and downs and we get deeply involved in it.

I am so lucky I had a lovely childhood .

We grew up in a village about 10 miles away from liverpool .

We had the freedom to play in the fields,climb trees ,paddle in streams ,collect wild flowers,lie under a tree reading and watching the clouds roll away .I was a nature loving soul from birth and such a free spririt as a child .
In Christmas holidays my Mum would take me to Liverpool for a day out and we would do a bit of shopping then go and have our dinner in a cafe .After that we go to see the grotto in one of the big stores where there would be puppets or a little show and then a visit to see Father Christmas .I loved our days out .

My Dad loved gardening and we would sit together planting seeds,picking green beans/strawberries,digging up spuds and chatting .He was so good at woodwork and made me a dolls cot ,dolls house ,rabbit hutches.

I was so lucky to grow up in an era when it was safe to go off and play for the day ,when reading ,drawing ,writing stories,making up games and putting on little shows and things were what we loved doing

I miss that carefree simple life but thanks to reading this thread I realise there is only myself keeping me from doing those things again .OK my Mum and Dad have passed over but are still with me and I need to keep myself safe but there are lovely woods I can go and daydream in .

Love flowergirl

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content