login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Journaling - The Power of Words

Hey All~ I have been in declutter mode this week in preparation for spring cleaning. I ran across a box of journals that I had written throughout my life. When I was 14 years old, I needed someone to talk to, but didn’t feel there was anyone except a piece of paper that would understand me (typical for a youngster) and so I started a journal.

Being in my 40’s, I have little recollection of what my life was like as a teenager. Aaaahhhh, blissful amnesia! As I picked up one of my books and started reading, I was amazed at how powerful our written words are in defining our future for the better and the worse! Most of the things I used to write about that would happen to me as an adult, did come to pass. I am the mother of five (what was I thinking to commit myself to that many children on paper at 14 years old???). Many more things too private to share, also came to fruition.

I picked up another book written when I was in the throws of a very low point in my life. The more I wrote about how bad and how difficult my life was, the worse it seemed to get. Day after day after day of sludge, pain, guilt, anger… Again, blissful amnesia… I didn’t know how bad it was, but I have a graphic map right in front of me. No where in 500 pages did I mention one positive thing in my life. No where was there gratitude for even the little things that I know existed during that period. Guess what? I laid it on thick in my journal and the universe laid it on thick in my life. The worse life handed me, the more I wrote about how crappy it was and the more garbage came my way. This went on for YEARS!! I think I can attribute this black period to at least 3 years. Then, I stopped writing for some reason. I never said why, but I deep down now the truth.

I’m pretty sure that is when I looked in the mirror and freaked out at the undead (barely), unconscious, unhappy, stranger in the mirror that vaguely resembled someone familiar. Could that really be ME in the reflection? YIKES!! Did I really bring all of that onto myself?

This is when my life began anew. I started with small affirmations. Books and books and books lined my shelves as I devoured each one – keeping copious notes on the themes that resonated. I probably have as many notes on books I’ve read as I do of journals themselves. Little by little my life changed and good things started happening. Then, great things. Now, miracles happen. I am grateful for all.

Eventually, I started keeping a journal again. This time, I may have a bad day that I write about, but I always end it with a positive spin. What am I going to do to improve myself or the situation? How do I grow as a person from this bad experience? You get the picture.

Of course, I write about many good things. Sometimes, it is just about the beautiful crocus blossoms that are peaking out of the snow. To me, it is a little slice of heaven that has been given to me. No matter how big or how small, I am grateful. Not only is it more pleasurable for me to go back and read again (or have my children pick up and read after I’m gone), but it sends the signals out to the universe about what to give back to me.

Bad things still happen. But, mostly good things enter my life. I now understand the power of word. I wonder what it is about written word that is so powerful? As you write your affirmations, be sure to write them in a positive way. Don’t include the negative version (like debt-free – instead, money flows to me).

Use the power of your word wisely!! But, don’t forget to use it!! BMindful is an excellent resource to test what I am saying. Try it!!

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Mary,

I have kept a journal on and off for many years too, since I was given one when I was 11. Reading them again amazes me too, especially the ones I wrote very early on, as a teenager. I was so eloquent! But very unhappy then.

Recently I’ve realised how much 80’s pop songs featured in my formation of what a relationship and love is. Unknowingly, I exposed myself to such negative and blatantly depressing lyrics during my adult formative years. Part of what I’ve identified in myself recently ties in with these songs, and I didn’t even know it, I just knew something in me wasn’t quite right in relationship.

Yes I agree, words are powerful.

Focus

Do you ever go back and re-read something and wonder who wrote it? It couldn’t possibly be you or your words? Sometimes, although it is my handwriting, it is like it came from the mind of a stranger.

You may think I’m nuts (goodness knows, sometimes I do!), but sometimes I wonder if that is what “automatic writing” is because some of it is waaaay deeper than I give myself credit for. Sometimes, it is so insightful, but I have no recollection of writing it.

I just wondered if I’m the only one.

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

I’ve often wondered that too.

I don’t know if it’s automatic writing, it felt conscious when I wrote it. I reckon it’s because we are no longer that person anymore, and if we were to go back there it would seem we were in a stranger’s body and mind.

Focus

No of course not MM, I re read my last journal that I found last week from a couple of years ago stuffed in a cupboard, I had a read of some of things that sort of jumped out at me, my words were scribbled all over the place, handwritting all over the place, it was kinda weird seeing my handwritting like that and the words I wrote didnt seem to be from me, I quickly stuffed it in the shredder and it was then I realised that I have definitely come a long way to where I am today. I was so proud in myself in how I had grown up really.

I have to get back into journaling I think, I keep coming back to your thread all the time, I have missed writing down my thoughts on everything and anything. I will endeavour to make a start on it tonight.

“Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

In response to meditatingmama’s post:

You are not the only one!

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

Most of us probably agree: Words Have power.

What I don’t think most of us realize is the power our words hold on others, as Meditatingmamma warns, “Use the power of your word wisely!! “ Someone might hold them dear in their hearts.

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

bookmark(:

Writing is definitely a positive tool in my life.

I feel like my pen is often an extension of my fingers lol

looking forward to returning to this great thread!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Writing is your soul bleeding words of who you are! 

Writing is definitely a positive tool in my life.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content