login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★A Course In Miracles

has anyone worked their way through this please .On the TUT website there is a thread where you can join a lovely lady working through it starting september which i am considering joining .

love flowergirl

I have not…but I would like to!

I studied it for a few years. I am extremely compatible with what it teaches. Belonged to a group at a Disciples of Christ (denomination) Christian Church that studied it.

It strengthened my relationship to God and made me less vulnerable to the illusion of separateness.

Got any specific questions?

I would like to know where to start. What is the best way to really absorb the material?

Oh gosh. I don’t know!

I got the book and sampled the lessons. They seemed attractive but impenetrable. I knew there would be no rush to get through it. I went back to the preface and just dipped my toe in a little bit at a time.

I was fortunate to really like the people who were in the study group at my church. That’s why I bought the book. I just wanted to be in a class with them. They were the most open and relaxed people in the church. Hippies in conservative clothes.

Most of them had been studying the book for years and were comfortable with finding a balance between the book vs. Christianity and a balance between the book vs. the world we perceive. That balance is important or you’ll stray into some odd expectations (similar to people who believe affirmations prevent cancer so they never get a pap smear, etc.)

I listened and didn’t say much during study group. They spoke abstractly and I wasn’t sure what they were applying in the real world. I’m still not sure about them. We’ve drifted apart — everybody changes towns, it seems.

So I guess my recommendation would be get the book and find a study group. Keep randomly sampling sections of the book. Very small samples. When you find passages you like, make some notes so you can find them again.

Once you have a better picture of what the book is and the materials and groups available to you, you can make a longer term plan based on what you’re trying to get out of it.

Or, you could start reading, and see how far you get!

(It was intended to be a self-study course, the author claimed.)

I saw that is it is a self study course..but the material is very challenging (at lezst for me, and I went to law school so I have some ability to read and comprehend)
I think I will take it in small bites.

Thanks!

I agree some of the text is too hard for me too. Most of the chapters don’t break up into satisfying sections and they’re too long to read all at once.

Have you tried any of the workbook exercises? They are pretty simple illustrations of the lessons.

I did start the workbook exercises once, but felt like I needed more guidance. Honestly, I feel like such an impaired learner when it comes to spiritual concepts. I am motivated though and I am going to try to start with Lesson 1 today. Thanks for reminding me about the workbook in the back.

Sounds like a class will be good for you. I’ve seen some videos from classes and there are lots of styles, so if you don’t get what you need from one class, try a different one.

Hope it goes well! Keep me posted, PM me if questions.

Today’s random affirmation from one of those Affirmation-of-the-day sites:

“If you knew who walks beside you on this path that you have chosen, fear would be impossible.”

— A Course in Miracles

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content