login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Efficiency, Effectiveness and the 80/20 Rule.

When we want to change things in our lives research shows that writing out a plan is a pretty important thing to do. It keeps us from being knocked off course by the vicissitudes of life. The point is this: writing out a real plan is EFFECTIVE. Effectiveness and efficiency are two different things. Efficiency is getting the job done right. Effectiveness is getting the right job done. That is why we start with effectiveness in mind and then refine it. We apply to 80/20 rule.

This may be obvious, but it was on my mind and I wanted to bring it up.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
Ahhh..one of my favorite topics!. I was doing something about this today.
Like most of us I have lots of tasks and projects flitting around my thoughts.

Today while reclining..I made a 2 column list in a ledger.
I emptied my mind of all kinds of to-do’s on the left..and off to the side of that..approx date and or time to accomplish.

In the 2nd column I left open for that list to be truly prioritized.

While I empty my mind ..(answers) ..things like eating and resting flit through my mind. I remain in a reclining position..Because I didn’t want to eat or rest because I didn’t want to stop the flow of ideas. Though as soon as my list gets hearty/significant enough..I then of course put 1st things 1st..like eating and resting. I now have a prioritized list..

I will do this ledger thing everyday. It is so easy to do when you are simply acting only as the observer of your ideas..taking minutes of an important meeting.

When I’m done eating..I may be less tired and not require a rest..but if I do..I’ll do that next..not having to be concerned that I will forget my infamous reminders.

If more items come to mind..I’ll do the same with those areas.
I love lists..because I love to also take it easy. Having a list allows me to rest on my laurels a bit..and take the priorities apart..and do a good job with them.

As I get on a roll with life on paper..it is easier to assess what areas/items when done allow for greater productivity/results with key areas in my life.
The ticket is ..keep the ledger going..and make the list as the observer. Who wouldn’t like a 2nd party you trust to be your assistant? (:
You don’t always have to be in such an active-mindset..that the idea of your tasks/projects become overwhelming.

When they do for me..that just means it’s time to unload my list on my assistant(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I LOVE your comment and this part struck me…

“When I’m done eating..I may be less tired and not require a rest..but if I do..I’ll do that next..not having to be concerned that I will forget my infamous reminders”

…because by making your list and then setting it aside your subconscious kicks into gear in the background.

Usually your conscious mind can and does work on a problem and finds a solution, but did you know that your subconscious mind can ALSO come up with solutions to problems and the solutions it comes up with are often different and more creative than what the conscious mind comes up with. This isn’t some wild speculation on my part. It has been studied. Also, the solutions can often come surprisingly fast. We should use our conscious mind to find solutions, it is important, but it isn’t the only source for solutions. Isn’t our subconscious mind an amazing thing?

Do any of you have any thoughts about collective consciousness? I don’t know much about that, but I’ve been thinking and wondering about this lately.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
in regard to: “because by making your list and then setting it aside your subconscious kicks into gear in the background”

I absolutely know this..and I believe that’s one reason why prioritized lists work. You’ve given the order of what 1st things 1st are..and you’ve let it go..and now you’re mind is not so busy with the everything that flits through your mind-mode(:

I also enjoy making a list without looking at the last one I made..and then after review previous list. The higher gear mode is more active when reinventing the wheel. Though the good news is..you don’t have to keep up the pace..because notes/lists made before are saved..as though you have a team of helpers..some who helped you remember something new..some who remind you what you’ve been categorizing as important for awhile..and the ones that are so pleased that it is all written down to see the big picture to revise everything for where it is in the moment..keeping 80/20 in mind at all times.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Great thread we got going here. David Allen makes an important point in his book “Ready for Anything” that I like. Basically, our minds can be filled with “agreements we have made with ourselves”. By writing things out you can examine all these little agreements that are bouncing around in our head. We can prioritize and work on them, but we can also agree to let some of them ago completely or even temporarily. This frees us up to deal with the important things.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Which 20% of sources are causing 80% of my problems and unhappiness? Which 20% of sources are resulting in 80% of my desired outcomes and happiness? Timothy Ferriss

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content