login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Discussion★Are Your Affirmations True?

The meaning or definition of “affirm” is to “strengthen, verify, or confirm with new evidence”.

In order for our affirmations to work, they must provide the mind with something it can accept as “true”. For example: let’s say someone weighs 195lbs and wants to lose 20lbs. When I see an affirmation that says “I now weigh 175lbs” I’m guessing they don’t weigh that much, or they wouldn’t be writing that affirmation. Well, if I know it’s not true, then you can be pretty darn sure their subconscious mind is also aware of this, and will simply dismiss it.

Now, it’s possible with hypnosis and a few other techniques that the mind can be tricked into thinking that the statement is true. But that’s not the healthiest or most self-empowering way to go about it. There is a better way…

Take the weight example again: Maybe “I weigh 175lbs” is not true and your mind knows it, but something like “I now intend that I am eating healthy, nutritious, delicious food that allows me to lose 3lbs of body fat per week” is absolutely true…if you do indeed “intend” it! (if not, find something that is true for you…)

In my experience, that’s been the real “secret”. If you honestly “intend” something, then that means your “heart” is in it. That means you have “feeling” to back up your words. Your mind will know this, and climb on board to help make it happen. In the meantime, your heart (and soul) will connect to your mind and send inspiration and motivation, telling it what foods are best for your body, when it’s best to exercise, for how long, and so on. It’s like having an internal personal fitness coach tailored exactly to your needs.

I hope this sparks some conversation. I would love to hear your thoughts and feelings on this, as well as sharing experiences.

Thanks!
Ilana

Ilana Moss,
Heartcompass Enterprises
The Foundation For A Mind With Heart
LifeNavigation iCourse, Heartcompass Secrets Newsletter
Messages From A Mind With Heart
and http:/www.metaphysics-for-life.com

Hello Ilana,
It’s really funny, you bring this up today, I thought about this a lot today and shared my thoughts and feelings on this subject on another thread

I agree wholeheartedly with the meaning behind affirming that you shared. I don’t think you can just throw out a positive idea and then wrap yourself in it and become it; not completely or lasting anyway. It would be like going in below freezing temperature denying the weather and expect to stay nice and toasty. Although, as you’ve mentioned with hypnosis, you can do some remarkable things; though not the healthiest or good for the long run. Although, I do know a hypnotherapist that combines real therapy with hypnotic technique, and has been quite successful changing cognitive and physical issues.

Truly acccepting all of you is key,and be grateful for all of your ingredients, and intently plan for change for anything that doesn’t satisfy you. Affirmations are great reinforcement toward familiarizing yourself with what you are preparing for with intent.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I sometimes have my difficulties with intentions – suppose in those cases the other pole is stronger. Like in loosing weight, the urge to eat something unhealthy is stronger than the intention to eat something healthy.

I often use visualizing and feeling the ‘untrue’ affirmation, which works for me, maybe not completely lasting. But I believe by doing so often enough it will then sink in and become completely true.

I did use that for loosing weight (must admit that my goal was less than 20lbs). I used visuallizing and felt my waistline being slim. And the effect was exactly as amindwheart mentioned: … your heart (and soul) will connect to your mind and send inspiration and motivation, telling it what foods are best for your body, when it’s best to exercise ….

…what a wonderful world….

Hi Laurie,

(wanna grab a cup of coffee, or tea? I’d love to talk to you!)

I went back and read most of your other post…it is a long one, you’re right about that : ) but I think I got the gist of it.

From what I’ve heard, even the most experienced law of attraction and/or affirmation teachers still work at it every day. I follow Joe Vitale on Twitter, and he mentioned he was working on clearing limiting beliefs about money…this from a guy who recently paid nearly half a million dollars for a car!

Not a day goes by that I don’t identify and replace fear-based beliefs in my mind. I do it by asking my heart for the truth for several reasons…the most important to me is that I’m going “within”, not looking for something “outside”. Another reason is that it feels good. It feels better to me to get the truth from my heart. I guess you would call that “living from the heart”? Saw that on your profile, and I loved it!!!

BTW – I have a friend who is a professional hypnotherapist. I’ve worked with her to get deep in my subconscious and heal buried memories and traumas. Really effective stuff, and she’s very gentle about it. So, yeah, I do use hypnosis, too.

Starting this thread really got me thinking about what it means to “affirm”. Writing down my affirmations, especially in a public forum like bmindful, is such a powerful way to “strengthen and verify” the truth or answers I find by going to my source or spirit through the heart connection. WOW, so that’s what an “affimation” is…a written statement that can strengthen and confirm the truth! And it works because it feels so darn good to read or listen to them again and again.

My gratitude to Lee for building this site, and to everyone who has visited my profile, posted comments, and become a friend. Thank you!

Ilana Moss,
Heartcompass Enterprises

In response to amindwheart’s post:
Yes,Ilana, let’s go out for that cup of tea (or coffee) :) Would be so much fun;for now it will have to be a virtual coffee/tea shop. These threads really do help us know ourselves and one another more.

I know, I tend to write “a bit” heh heh. I remember seeing Lee comment somewhere, not to be into too much revising and just write. My thoughts come out so long hand. Not really knowing my audience, I tend to explain a lot. Thanks for taking the time to read my “scribble”.

I know what you mean about daily-identifying and replacing beliefs. I do the same. I ask myself what kind of day I want, and do my best to “prepare myself” for the best.

I enjoy using self-hypnosis and imagery. I’ve done some neat experiments that have taught myself alot about me. I’ll share a few soon. Though, definitely know we’re dealing with powerful possibilities, and it must be real, from the heart.

I also agree, the writing of your beliefs;the ones you are reinforcing is very powerful.

It has been a pleasure chatting w/you, and your site is really something.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Hi,
I wanted to share this on Twitter, but the link is too long…
It’s an article about how the brain processes “negative” words or statements. It all depends on how the sentence is structured.

I was taught to avoid using “no” or “not” in my affirmations, but sometimes it just seems like the thing to do. Take a look, and let me know what you think (maybe Lee could add this to the Articles section?)

http://www.brainmysteries.com/research/True_or_false_How_our_brain_processes_negative_statements.asp

Ilana Moss,
Heartcompass Enterprises

In response to amindwheart’s post:
Yes, I agree to NOT use-> not or no in my affirmations. It’s important for me to feel as though I’m speaking to me for me, in a positive, nurturing way in order to move forward. My statements have to feel like I believe- in -me -statements. If I don’t I can’t take in my suggestions.

I especially like to rid myself of negative states with a quick little exercise called blue mirror, in which I posted on 11/25/08

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Ladies, I feel as if I’m sitting at the next table in the coffee shop, eavesdropping. In the beginning of the thread I was all behind Ilana with the idea of needing truth in the affirmations. As one with a weight issue it is nearly impossible to say “I am happy with my weight, it is right where it should be because I eat the right foods and get proper exercise.” Because only parts of that are currently true. However, on reading further posts then I agree with Laurie that if we frame the statement with intent that it can be true! “I intend to add regular exercise into my life, to continue to eat the right foods, eliminating the foods I know I should, all for the purpose of attaining a body weight I can be happy with.” There is an obvious shortage of no-s and not-s in my revised statement but it still feels negative. That’s because I know it’s currently not the truth. While I’d love to make it be so, I’m not sure how to cause the law of attraction to be involved in my life to the extent that weight control can become a reality!

I am ready to try hypnosis and if that doesn’t begin to yield results, I’m going to get my lips stapled shut! :-)

It’s so wonderful having this forum to share these thoughts, I do believe that putting them down “on paper” helps bring them nearer to reality!

Blessings,
Bruce-
Each Day Is A New Gift From God!

Hi Bruce,

I have a thought to share…hope you check back more often than I have! : )

I know without a doubt that your body is capable of being the weight, size, and fitness that you wish it would be. Isn’t that true?

If that feels true to you, how about trying that as an affirmation?

ie:

“My body is capable of attaining a weight of XXX pounds in ways that are healthy and create a fit and toned appearance.”

…or something along those lines.

I would love to know if you decide to try this, and what happens when you do : )

Thanks for “eavesdropping” !
Ilana

Ilana Moss,
Heartcompass Enterprises

enjoying this thread-looking forward to returning...Picture

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content