login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★It takes 10,000 hours

Ten Thousand, that is the magic number. I didn’t come up with that number on my own, I found that number in Outliers . Apparently, it has been studied. I mean really studied. Want to be a “superstar” guitarist, ballerina, computer programmer, attorney, or just about anything else, then 10,000 hours of practice is what it takes. Do that and you will be among the best in the world at what you do and the money will follow. Tier one pros make many times what second tier professionals do. At 20 hours a week it will take you about ten years. It must be really nice to have such clarity of purpose. It is this clarity and focus that will make the difference that pushes through obstacles and lulls in drive. It is the thing that makes you “KNOW” that you are going to succeed. It is the thing that presses you on when the rest of the herd gives up. Man, I wish I were clear on exactly what I wanted. It can be so hard these days when there are so many options on the table. Can you live a balanced life and still be single minded in your focus. I believe you can. Remember, it doesn’t require 24 hours a day, or even 16, or even 8, it just takes dedication.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

There are also some other factors that can contribute to your success, such as being ready for an opportunity when it presents itself. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and a handful of others were “ready” when the computer revolution take place. By lucky circumstances and being ready when the computer revolution hit they really hit the jackpot. Fortune may smile a little more on a select few, but the 10,000 hour thing still holds true, even if it doesn’t make you a multi-billionaire or gazillionaire. Maybe you’ll only make a few million, but I wouldn’t turn my nose up to a million, would you?

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Another example of being ready at the right time were the “Robber Barons”. Interestingly, 20 percent of the richest people in history were all born in the U.S. in the 1830’s. They hit the jackpot, they were ready and in the right place at the right time. Out of the hundred richest men in history, note how many were clustered in the 1830’s. Now THAT is being ready and able to take advantage at the RIGHT time.

Marshall Field born 1834
Frederick Weyerhaeuser born 1834
Andrew Carnegie born 1835
John D Rockefeller 1839
Jay Gould 1836
J.P. Morgan 1837
Henry Rogers 1840
Col. Oliver Payne 1839
Peter Widener 1834
Philip Armour 1832
Hetty Green 1834
George Pullman 1831
Daniel James 1832
James Hill 1838
William Clark 1839
Henry Flagler 1830
John Mackay 1831
Anthony Brady 1834
Adolphus Busch 1839

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Boy, I’m really rambling on today. One thing that crosses my mind is that each of us probably have at least couple of thousand areas of practice in some area already, and it is possibly something we already have at least some interest in. If you looked at your bookshelf, are there one or two topics you already have bought a lot of books on? Maybe there is a clue there. What kinds of things do you spend your money on? Are there one or two themes that consistently pop up? What if we weeded out more of the stuff we just had a slight or very passing interest in and began to really focus on what interested us? Would that be worthwhile? I know that I am real bad about collecting information. I also know that there are more books published in one month that I could read in the rest of my life. What if God came to me and said, Jeff, I’m gonna’ put you on a remote island for ten years and you can study any subject you want. No phone, no lights no motor cars, Not a single luxury, Like Robinson Crusoe, As primative as can be. I’ll come and get you in ten years. What are you going to take to study?

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

greek mythology ,because i would find it fascinating and would be able to concentrate on it in that peacefull setting ,lovely thought Jeff thanks .love flowergirl

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content