login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Full Plate? reassess overwhelm to ease

State of Ease PDF

OVERWHELM
by Keith Garrett

1. THE PROCESS OF OVERWHELM: In this condition, one feels behind, with seemingly too many things to do. One feels like he/she is a victim to those things. Those things “have” him/her instead of him/her having them. Per the definition of the word one feels “overpowered by a superior force”.

Recognize that overwhelm is a psychological state of mind, not a reality. The reality is that one has a lot of things to do, but in the right emotional state of mind that is no problem.

The principle here is to provide “open space” (in the time dimension and psychologically), since overwhelm is a “tight, closed space” and is often similar to cutting off the blood flow.

related threads added to this thread

Multiple Projects With Ease & Flow

Raising Vibrational Frequency

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

IMHO, the biggest cause of stress and being ‘overwhelmed’ is the expectation that things should be different. The expectation that you should be happy and easily able to handle the stresses of modern life.

We have not evolved to be dealing with modern day life. We are on the cutting edge of evolution. The trials and tribulations we’ve been bred to deal with are not necessarily the ones we are facing on a day to day basis.

This will always be the case, and always has been the case, because society as a whole, the technologies we use, the way we look at the world, the way we earn a living, our chores and other obligations, our day to day lives will always be changing and they always have been.

It seems to me that one reason things seem so much ‘worse’ these days is that we have a comparison. But it’s not a true comparison. The movies we see, the news we are fed, the documentaries we watch, the photographs we see in magazines and on the Internet are either idealized by the author or idealized by us when we digest them.

This is obvious when we watch a Hollywood film, but is not so obvious when we watch the human interest section of the evening news, read the lifestyle section of the weekend paper or look at stealthily doctored photographs of people and their lives whilst browsing the Internet.

Almost everyone likes to portray their best self. They put their best foot forward and act as if everything is rosy and they are easily dealing with the challenges in their everyday lives. This is especially so when they know they are being watched by others, ie when they are being interviewed for an article or intend to share it online (say, on Facebook).

But these portrayals are at best selective, exaggerated and not representative of the whole. More often though they are gross misrepresentations, or more accurately, utter bullshit!

Unfortunately we aren’t very good at seeing through this. Even if we ‘know’ it on an intellectual level, because it is force fed to us on Facebook, newspapers, movies, magazines and documentaries, some of these mis-truths slip through the cracks and are taken as fact. Then, over time, we develop an inaccurate world view, compare ourselves to it, and just don’t measure up!

So all this is a round about way of saying that you need to have a little compassion for yourself. You are human, just like everyone else. And, despite their rosy exterior, everyone else suffers just like you do. They feel stressed and overwhelmed, they get frustrated and angry. And that is OK. It’s a part of being human.

So… It’s OK to be stressed. It’s OK to feel overwhelmed. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, then be overwhelmed. Don’t add to your worry by thinking there is something wrong with you.

That’s my deluded view, anyhow :)

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

Just yesterday, I was overwhelmed. It did appear I was behind in all ways. All the plans for the month did not materialize. There were pressing issues for which there seem to be nothing for me to do. It appeared am out of tune. Worst still I fell sick.
But then I realized that am not an imperfect, fallible, vulnerable, limited mortal hemmed-in in a material state of existence, under the whims and dictates of circumstances beyond my control. I told myself over and over again that I am the very goodness of God, the intelligence of Mind, the truth of Truth, the beauty of Soul, made individual and distinct yet possessing no separate being from God. At some other time I remind myself that I am one with the Father, the divine Principle of my being and of all being and that all that the Father divine Love possess belongs to me as His complete expression.
Using this suggestion over and over again I was able to keep my mind on things that are productive rather than things that pull me down.
The point is to keep the focus on what is productive and supportive in spite of the bad feelings.

GOD IS GOOD ALONE

enjoyed rereading these posts!SharingStPatsBunny2-11LM.gif

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content