login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Controversial Health Foods and Health Issues

Newly added to compliment this thread

• ** And It Is So Affirmations
  • ___________________________
    This thread below was created in 2009. Bmindful has gone through some changes and so have most who continue to practice positive healthy patterns. I will utilize this space in the coming year (2014) for updating & will keep the thread in tact since it has been made more current (brought up among recent threads) with only positive intentions. Since the time this thread was created I have enjoyed some wonderful ideas about health and look forward to having that reflect in future threads selfcare
  • ___________________________
    Like many of you, I work hard and passionately to live a healthy life. Occasionally, I find something I love has a property in it that might not be what I thought, or a hidden property we MIGHT have to be cautious of. Anyway I open this thread up for controversial areas, that we have found good research about and/or questions or feelings about the research. Maybe as a community, we can become more clear, passionate, or maybe just know there is no conclusive proof to some things.

When people ask me how do I conclusively know organic is the best for me, I keep it simple and say I have to trust some things in life. I believe organic foods have been ideal for my well being. For me, organic foods are not controversial. I am happy with the information I’ve found and I have “personal proof”. (:

I do have questions about dairy and soy. What are your feelings about both? When I do dairy, it’s generally organic. Though I have cut down on dairy because I have heard “things”. I used to eat soy products and have almost cut them out completely because of controversy. What are your thoughts on those foods or others that have gotten a little controversy?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I don’t eat dairy cos I’m allergic to it, I get the runs and rashes if I eat it. I eat soy, but in moderation. I use rice milk now instead of soy, but I eat tempeh and tofu sometimes.

Focus

Re, that last article from CNN. As far as increasing the speed at which we ‘age’ I’d be more worried about the growth hormones fed to the cows that produce the milk you drink than some inconclusive research from some guy that is very probably sponsored by his friends in the dairy industry :P

I seriously wonder how much of the controversy surrounding soy is created by the dairy industry.

I’m equally suspect of the pro meat and dairy propaganda that our (Australian) government sponsors and wonder what they are getting out of it. Pushing meat and dairy so much certainly doesn’t result in a healthier population.

It’s hard to find information on this stuff (which isn’t surprising, especially knowing that we’ll soon be the most censored democracy in the entire world) but the western world doesn’t have a very good track record for this kind of thing anyway (think hemp, the fibrous plant that is fantastic as a renewable fuel, useful in chemical free cosmetics, as a super food etc etc)

Ignoring the environmental impact and animal rights issues surrounding the dairy industry, tofu has been safely consumed since 164BC (according to wikipedia) and other soy beans and soy based products for even longer.

Everything in moderation though, too much fresh water can kill you. It’s all about balance.

I’m sitting here sipping on a soy chai tea (and I’m about to go back to the stove for another!) but I’m not a big tofu fan so I’m not likely to eat a big block of it for dinner like Mel might (We’ll be out tonight) Mel had rice milk on her breakfast for that very reason.

Neither of us eat any dairy. My body totally disagrees with it and Mel just prefers not too.

As far as organic produce goes, I’ll challenge any disbelievers to a taste test and let them decide.

I’ll then have to assure them that there was no MSG sprinkled on that tomato, and tell them that the LACK of chemicals used in the production of said tomato might actually be the reason it was so damn tasty!

Then I might send them off to do some research, reminding them that it’s always interesting to look at who pays for any research they might come across.

As far as other controversial health foods are concerned, I’m currently reading about Adaptogens and am particularly interested in the Lingzhi / Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum)

I haven’t yet found any locally, so I’m considering getting some from the ‘net somewhere. I want to do some more research first, but it sounds interesting so far!

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

Lee – I’ve taken Reishi – it’s fantastic as a tonic – I must start taking it again, it stablised my blood sugars and gave me more energy. Try Chinatown for capsules, even though it’s not fresh, it works. I can’t remember the brand I got, but it had a gold label on it.

When I was a kid, I watched kung fu movies with my dad, there was one movie where a warrior general was sent by the emperor to look for lingzhi, he didn’t find it. It was reputed that Lingzhi would allow you to live forever, it was the immortality mushroom. So he didn’t come back, fearing the consequences. But what happened, apparently this is a true story… where he settled was an island which eventually became Japan. Hence the warrior code in Japan.

Laurie – I can’t stand natto! Irk! Sometimes I eat fermented salted soy beans (a family favourtie), but it’s really salty, like vegimite :) So I don’t have it often. It is a good thing to have in the cupboard cos you can make a meal outta of a spoon of beans and rice, just mix it in and you have a good cheap meal (as in student meal!!! much better than two minute noodles with vegimite – I have done that too :))

And yes I believe in moderation. I don’t graze on anything too intensely. So a little bit of unfermented soy is fine in my book :)

Focus

Freya, awesome thanks! It’s comforting to know I’m not the only person that’s looked into this. There is some info about it online but nowhere near the amount you’ll find on Ginseng and the like.

I’ve got a couple of books on Traditional Chinese Medicine from the library. There’s more legitimate sounding information in those than I found on the entire Internet lol.

The Chinese herbalist I visited knew what I was talking about but didn’t have any and tried to sell me Shiitake instead haha. We already eat shiitake mushrooms, especially in soups mmmm.

I haven’t watched a kung fu movie in years! I’m going to have to change that!

I do believ that the over all taste of organic is the tops. I do grow as much as my own foods and can them.It is more costly than going to the grocery store for items, but I will drive a ways for organic. I sprout alot, grow my own wheat grass to juice.
Unforturnatly where I live there arent a big supply of good food. When I was out in Calif. I loved the open markets and chooses of different fresh foods. I just wish that people would recognize that canned, processed junk fast food was not the answer to your health leading to obese children. When ever I suggest organic foods people remark expensive… but what about what they would spend getting that big mac ect. I am so grateful to my parents for teachimg me to grow and can my own food, at least I know what I am eating.
I don’t drink cow’s milk the growth hormone just scares me, my choice rice dream, soy milk.
I do use a protein powder from trader joes 46 grms. protein pluss all the requirements the body need for a full days use. Have even considered making my own yogurt, has anyone done this?

In response to cathie’s post:
Not from scratch, but before we stopped eating dairy we used to use EasiYo:“http://www.easiyo.com/”

You can probably make a soy version, we just haven’t looked into it. I don’t think it will be the same as the sour unflavored yogurt I used to enjoy :)

In response to Lee Nutter’s post:

Here is an interesting piece re: blueberries and dairy; not necessarily for those who gave up dairy. Saw this today: Milk Destroys Antioxidant Benefits in Blueberries
http://www.naturalnews.com/z025516.html

I love blueberries in goat milk yogurt. I may have to rethink it. I’m a real blueberry lover. What ways do you use them in a meal or for a snack, besides plain?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Hi, Great thread! I have a son and daughter who are allergic to dairy and soy. Their pediatrician told me to feed them rice milk as a substitute, which I did very faithfully and they loved it. HOWEVER~ commercial rice milk can be extremely high in sugars. NOW (not when they were babies), there is a warning NOT to feed children under five years old. Let me tell you why, it rots their teeth. My two youngest children EACH have had more dental work than my older three kids combined.

I have since stopped giving my children rice milk in the manner that most people drink milk. Our main beverage is purified water. When my children NEED milk, such as cold cereal, THEN I let the have a LITTLE rice milk, but they immediately brush their teeth, so the sugar doesn’t sit on their little teeth too long.

As a child, I was allergic to milk and was given goat milk. My family lived on a farm and we had them milked fresh each morning. Now, I cannot stand the smell.

You know, the older I get, the less tolerant to milk everyone seems to be. I think it has to do with pesticides used in cattle feed, hormones injected into the cows and general environmental toxicity.

I live in Kansas. If you saw how the animals were kept (not to mention the SMELL), you’d never eat beef!! Oh, and the image of the family farm, forget it! These are mainly corporate farm lands. Family farms (especially organic ones) are far and few between. The corporate ones would disgust you immensely!! NASTY!!

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

AS in the present days people are not taking healthy food items which are very good for health as they are taking fast food items which don’t give any kind of improvement to your health. People must food containing more calcium’s and vitamins which could keep your body strong. Unlike most supplements, these products are made from organic foods, not synthetics. Visit the Naturally Nova Scotia website for more information.
_______
kcr
Natural Vitamins

AS in the present days people are not taking healthy food items which are very good for health as they are taking fast food items which don’t give any kind of improvement to your health. People must food containing more calcium’s and vitamins which could keep your body strong. Unlike most supplements, these products are made from organic foods, not synthetics. Visit the Naturally Nova Scotia website for more information.
_______
kcr
[url=http://www.naturallynovascotia.com]Natural Vitamins[/url]

_______
kcr
[url=“http://www.naturallynovascotia.com”]Natural Vitamins[/url]

Here’s a newsletter I rec’d today from Dr. Al Sears re:probiotic yogurts.
What do you think?
——-

Have you seen the ads for these new yogurts and drinks that promise to “regulate your digestive tract?” Giant food companies are spending millions to convince you to buy them. But, I haven’t found any – so far – I’d endorse.

ConsumerLabs.com tested a variety of probiotic products in 2003 and 2006. More than a third flunked the tests. Most failed because they contained “too few live bacteria to be effective.”1

The term “probiotic” comes to us from the Greek words meaning “for” and “life.” Probiotics are live “good bacteria” cultures that help the body fend off all types of chronic diseases.

Economic troubles can lead to serious health problems
With the global financial crisis, stress is at an all-time high. And with it comes an increase in high blood pressure, heart attacks, and a host of other very serious medical problems.

Don’t let stress, anxiety, and worry get to you. Enjoy a longer, healthier, and happier life now.

But anything that is living can die. And that’s exactly what happens to a lot of the bacteria in most probiotic products. Processing, heat and time all kill off good bacteria in these products.

Plus, probiotic bacteria won’t do you any good unless they make it to your gut. And that’s tougher than it may sound. Imagine if you had to swim across an ocean of battery acid. That’s the challenge bacteria face in your stomach. And even if they make it through your stomach, they have to survive the bile salts in your upper intestine.

You probably won’t be surprised when I tell you that only a fraction of the bacteria you eat usually make it to your gut alive.

You see, not all bacteria are created equal. While acidophilus (Lactobacillus acidophilus) is the best known probiotic, it’s not necessarily the best performer. Based on the studies I’ve seen, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) offers far more health benefits. But the food industry uses LGG far less often than acidophilus.

So before you rush out and buy expensive yogurt products, here are a few simple ways to increase the good bacteria in your gut.

Like other living things, bacteria thrive when the conditions are right. Help the good bacteria in your gut flourish by following a few simple tips:

Stay hydrated. This helps the good bacteria establish themselves.2

Avoid sugars and starches. They’re “bad” bacteria’s favorite meal.

Eat more foods that contain inulin – a type of fiber good bacteria eat. Garlic, onions, leeks, artichokes and chicory root (often used as a coffee substitute) are good sources of inulin.

Eat organic fruits and vegetables. And don’t wash them too thoroughly. Our ancestors got lots of good bacteria from the organic foods they ate.

If you need additional good bacteria, choose an organic yogurt or kefir product with as little added sugar as possible, preferably none at all.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I enjoy hearing about alternative diet options. Of course, we all have different dietary needs as well as different levels of availability to consider, unless money is no object and you don’t mind a lot of online shopping.:( I have thyroiditis so soy is a no no. but I now see it listed as an ingredient in so many things I fear it’s being overutilized and could later cause problems for people. I also fear that if I knew all the other things we have been overexposed to I would sink into the depths of paranoia! To me, this is a great argument for organic and/or raising your own food.
A customer of our shop swears by coconut oil. Over the last year she has lost a LOT of weight and she’s full of vitality. She cooks with it, takes spoonfuls, rubs it on whatever aches, etc. etc. I read “somewhere” that it is good for the thyroid gland. I’m gradually adding it to my diet and applying it here and there…
Another thing I’m doing is starting the day with a glass of Low-salt vegetable juice, 1 tsp. cayenne powder, the juice of one lemon and a shot of natural apple cider vinegar. The juice makes the rest go down nicely. This is supposed to be good for the heart and circulation and liver. A shot of vodka might be even better. Hmmm…

Jancydat Coconut is supposed to be the best besides Olive oil it is very healthy for you especially when you have a certain Thyroid condition. Hawaiians are very healthy because of it. Coconut

Haven’t used Canola oil for years now because of the controversy surrounding it.

Canola

As far as organic is concerned that is what’s in my home most of the time. Because it has the least amount of pollutants. The Earth now is polluted we have acid rain that effects the ground. Chemtrails in the air that drop chemicals. Pollution from cars etc. The good thing about organic is that it has no pesticides.

Soy is very rarely bought because of it being Genetically Modified. You can also get it non-gmo and organic. My new born many many years ago become violently sick by it. The doctor asked me why I gave him soy formula. I said because there were different articles stating it was very good for you. Then thinking maybe because my baby got sick didn’t mean that it would happen to me. So it made me ill as well. The non-gmo doesn’t do that for me but still only use very little.

I use grape seed oil for cooking, and coconut oil. I stopped using soy because of controversy of it being a hormone-disruptor. I know there is a lot of info surrounding it, i just keep it simple (for myself), and avoid it.

Coconut oil is delicious and makes me feel great…though while it has some very healthy fat properties…also have to watch it a bit too. Moderation..like most things.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

True words some people do put on weight with it as well. Grapeseed is wonderful and has a great flavor.

I use supplements of all kinds. I believe they are helpful. I also believe that the word ‘believe’ is key here.
Like many others, I have to be careful not to get caught up in the religion of the health food industry. Already some of you may feel anger at reading that.
I know all the arguments…I’ve used them all to promote the sanctity and goodness of the health food industry so I’m not criticizing….only making observations.
IT IS done unto us according to our beliefs. That’s not just ‘religion’ it is also quantum physics…
After all… look what this site is about: bmindful… its about harnessing our innerpower and changing our ‘minds’ or beliefs.
Everything is vibration, including us, and its true that what is more receptive to us vibrationally is ‘better’ for us…

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content