login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Acceptance

I was hunting around the old threads looking for some pearls of wisdom on that age old topic of ‘Acceptance’ – and couldnt find one, so I thought I would start one.
We have all talked about it in various threads but there is yet to be a thread that contains a collection of experiences, anecdotes and stories of when Acceptance really was the answer to our problems.
I would love to hear how we all deal with situations where we are forced to accept stuff that we dont particularly like or approve of. By trusting the universe/God and accepting a situation as it is, is a wonderfully freeing experience when you finally stop trying to fight it/change it or manipulate it to the way you ‘think’ is best. Acceptance is trust. Acceptance is peace of mind. Acceptance is letting go.

For me the answer to all my problems today is Acceptance, but on the flip side – if we accept something we dont like are we settling for less??

A full and thankful heart..

Acceptance doesn’t mean we have to like it, it simply notes something exists.

If you hated the color blue, and that was the color you painted your whole interior of your house, would you deny the color was blue, or would you accept that is the color, and you simply don’t like it?

At that point you can look into what you can change or-> if you choose to change your semi-rigid-taste my picking compliment colors to change the appearance of the blue you didn’t like. Choice. Decision.

In the above context -I use the word rigid as a word that means..we always have choice

The key is understanding acceptance is a process, and to to allow yourself to go through the process, you have to begin somewhere. The house is blue, and it doesn’t feel right..Being it’s the beginning, it means you now have choices how to deal with your experience. If you deny it is blue, and fantasize/visualize it being different..what happens on the days you are
halting h.a.l.t. too hungry, angry, lonely or tired and changing a lie (denial of what exists) is too hard?

Honesty in life allows for change. Acceptance is key.
“God grant me the serenity to accept
the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.”
~Reinhold Niebuhr, The Serenity Prayer

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response toLovesFocusingWell’s post:
The word acceptance has confusing connotations. It sounds like approval, like you’re enjoying something.

When acceptance is used in the process of moving forward..it only says you are admitting it exists.

With other people, we know we can’t change things..Though some of us probably wonder ..if you accept..is it putting negative energy out there to keep them that way.

I believe this energy thing can’t be looked at like a magic wand or superstitious bad sign …
Communicating things is only part of the power, as powerful as it is.

I had a circumstance in an environment where the some of the individuals were gossipy and negative. And oh how I despise that. So, how could I accept ..be joyous..and change things? Well I’ll tell you what I did…

Over considerable time, I focused on myself realizing I can’t change others.

I used process affirmations, prayer, writing and treating others the way I wanted to be treated, “not expecting anything in return” except a joyous day and a joyous good life. I also forgave them, and had compassion for them not understanding giving is receiving, especially in the setting I am referring to.

Recently, this focus truly paid off, because I remained true to my principles, and while remaining true..in this setting and others, my confidence has soared beyond my expectations. This happened not just because the results seem to show my efforts paid off..but also because I remained true to my higher principles.

It could’ve been looked at as passive. It wasn’t.

I was highly involved in progression inwardly, and outwardly. I just wasn’t going for the jugular, which those who care about me suggested lol.

I feel as you mature, the way we spoke to siblings (tattling, belittling etc) doesn’t have a place in the good life you want to have, as an adult.

How can you step out of the box, if one foot is spending all of it’s time stepping on people, and you always feel like your hands are tied. If this was a game of Twister you’d surely lose.

Keep your freedom, keep your dignity and integrity..when it comes to living among others who haven’t learned to love.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Thanks LFW insightful. (Love the bit about keeping dignity – I identify with that…see below)
Any examples of how you have accepted something in life and made for a more ‘comfortable’ outcome?

My example is that recently I had to accept that I will never be friends with my sister in law. That no matter how hard I try, she will not respond to me. I had to accept that this is her choice (to ignore me) and to respect her opinion – but most imprtantly I was able to accept that she is a different kind of person to me, and therefore I need not expect her to behave in the way I would.
This acceptance allowed me to give myself a break and stop trying so hard – and also allowed me trust and accept that this is the way it is meant to be – why force a situation that will never be. Perhaps its for the best, simply because we are very different and have little in common!!

Hoorah!!

I believe knowing you are dissimilar to someone is very helpful!!(:

I also believe focusing on what is truly important in your life comes 1st..

I have a member in my family, that I wanted his approval more than I was willing to admit. When I let go of this person as something I needed by focusing on much more important areas, real truth came to light about my own growth..and where to focus my time. And then truly realizing not having this person in my life was not only ok because we were dissimilar, but because I value myself too much not to be put in situations where it could be considered harms way.

I finally realize while I always had forgiveness for this person, I now have created an energy around me that only invites loving encounters.
When others have difficulty looking at themselves they cannot relate well to most people. This is not to take someone’s inventory, though love is something you recognize when it’s present.

We can bring love to any circumstance, and if no one is home..where you bring it, it doesn’t get received.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Yep! So true. I totally relate.
Hard to believe that you would ever want approval from others – but we all begin this journey somewhere, and its good to see how you have grown since then.

Its an eye-opener, this approval seeking. Perhaps I was seeking approval…but I now realise I do not need her approval (not just because we are dissimilar) but mainly because I need to be the best me I can be – without approval from another human being. Putting others on a pedestal isnt good – they get pretty lonely up there!

In response to anoushka’s post:
Family is a tricky emotional bond.

I believe you need to truly separate yourself from the bond to see what really exists.

I was raised that the mere thought of separating myself from a family member was not ok. I was so glad to find out is vital.

From this experience, I found ways to love the person and myself more..It was a process. When timing is right, in God’s Eyes..I have myself to bring to that relationship, and it would take lot for that same person, to have negative power in my life again. Because I’d have to open the door(:

I didn’t even recognize the power as negative, because forgiveness was my middle name(:

Though there has to be some accountability and negotiation in any good relationship.

You can not just come and destroy. I am God’s work, and I’ve invested my whole life in me, I don’t ever want to lose my investment.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to Laurie~LovesFocusingWell’s post:
Ooooh I like that last line. Very assertive. Thats what I love about you Laurie.
Blessings for a wonderful day ahead. x

Much love and blessings Noush(:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

As a kid you have to accept who surround you but in the end you have to make you and the people you choose around your own. It’s all about keeping it real.. If something affects the way you live in a negative way then you have to say, goodbye!

In response to bbirishbug’s post:
Hi Julie I think in the context we’re batting back and forth..acceptance is not about having to accept or not accepting..it’s the acknowledgement of what is..

Like my earlier example..you can dislike the color you painted your home, but whatever the color is-is..That’s the acceptance we are referring here about.

I believe the acceptance you are referring to has to do with approving of..

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Lol, sorry guys for not taking the time to read your posts in this thread :p Hi anyways! Laur: xx Hope all is good :)

thread from 2010...  let's keep it going... (if it fits for you) (:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Love2BYou2B1.png

Acceptance iz loving people, things, or circumstances as they are. When we surrender to what-iz we release any resistance that we may have to what has already been created and we flow in harmony and unity with all that iz. Everything in this 3rd dimension iz in a constant state of change. I have found detachment allows me to all accept things as they are and I have a much greater appreciation for all that I have or experience than I did when I formed attachments to things and resisted the changes. There's only one impermanence in this wonderful universe and that iz change itself but everything else, all these magnificently beautiful forms, illusions as they are supported by an even more wonderful invisible eternal and infinite spiritual reality, are always in a constant state of change and so I embrace the change. In embracing the change I do not form unhealthy attachments which creates so much of our pain and suffering and in our resistance to the natural flow of the universe and abundance allows me to appreciate them on a much deeper scale. I lack for nothing and experience far more abundance in my detachment to things and love them more healthy and fully when they are within my awareness which iz always shifting from this to that and back to more of this and more of that. It feels so good to be alive in this abundant universe!

There’s no such thing as fiction. Our experiences are constructed within our own imagination. What we believe iz possible iz what we’ll experience. The life we’re living now iz only imagined in some of the minds of other infinite parallel versions of you.

I had an experience with someone who is very near and dear to me. My rationale for some of my inspired actions were not understood, and we 'were just at different places' Not better or worse... just different. The most wonderful thing I could do for me and for us... was to express that explaining  wasn't working... and in order for me to be/do what was next for me... I needed not to be apathetic ... just 'removed' from what wasn't clear for the other. 

In essence I was saying I love you... I love me... And we will understand 'this' when the time was right.

And sure enough -that is what occurred.

This acceptance opened the door to all that is magnificently Greater!  More Perfect than I could've planned alone. Thank You Thank You Thank You Dear God! 

It has so helped us both... (and continues to)

This is so because my actions were more clear than finding words for my what I was in  process of. 

This is so because of acceptance, love & letting go.

This is so because of all of this was also connected to true appreciation at the core level.

Acceptance for being me & not getting into word-things (for this circumstance)-whether someone understands is very loving... when it comes from love. 

these 5 quotes assist in my sharing(:

5d5c8d15e51e660391dec55909faa158--morning-mantra-daily-mantra.jpg

• The most important part of letting go is found in your intention. If the intention is to let go as an act of casting away an identity from a position of spiritual righteousness or personal judgment, then the contractions and clamping down intensifies. Conversely, if the intention is to let go as an act of love toward the form, so it can become a conscious expression of spirit in action, then letting go occurs in a spontaneous moment of heartfelt relief. Letting go is not a practice to master, but an opportunity to come to terms with your most intimate level of honesty. In doing so, you let go of all unconscious behaviors and painful distractions, allowing the form of experience to blossom into full radiance, as you fulfill the mission you were born to complete. Matt Kahn

d1c91992066a5e92fbc6250d09b943bb--impersonal-becker.jpgdc154aaa8ce12c7ea1f0728d7ffb32d9--becker-optimism.jpgb25804be7060c1cac3bc16f5345931d5.jpg

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to iZUHM THA iNFiNiTE's post: these quotes felt right here(:i4.png50b274598c29415b13f657c80db3e061.jpg

In response to iZUHM THA iNFiNiTE's post:

I agree iZ with your statement: 

Acceptance iz loving people, things, or circumstances as they are.

I believe some get behavior and 'ones very being' or essence  confused as though they are the same thing. (and like you basically said...change simply iZ ... and we are always evolving)

Most times ...when I'm feeling  I am not enjoying  someones behavior...  I can still love them ... with all my heart. Not liking someones behavior may be involved with my personal values... and will reinforce my contrast... It ends up bringing my best out in me (as I want to be) 

It allows for conversations -for those who enjoy that kind of thing with others about one another)

And it helps remind me of the diversity... Not seeing all as a carbon copy of myself...even though as humans we share much...

For me-that contributes to my being able to accept, allow and  appreciate.9df0f224cf8a0ee9d9ba8bdf0b27a24e.jpg

Like everyone-I am a work in progress-

like hearing your thoughts for you

and these really resonated with me: 

In embracing the change I do not form unhealthy attachments which creates so much of our pain and suffering and in our resistance to the natural flow of the universe and abundance allows me to appreciate them on a much deeper scale.

I lack for nothing and experience far more abundance in my detachment to things and love them more healthy and fully when they are within my awareness which iz always shifting from this to that and back to more of this and more of that. 

It feels so good to be alive in this abundant universe!

I LOVE HOW YOU CAPTURED THIS EXPERIENCE IN WORDS!

Thanks for this! While I love experience...

I also love ...standing back

and sharing

something  when it feels right.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

10c56eb3729fa9669ce61bb1626b6185.jpg

Image result for acceptance quotes

Related image

Move as a total being, and accept things. just for twenty four hours, try it - total acceptance, whatsoever happens. Someone insults you, accept it; don't react, and see what happens. Suddenly you will feel an energy flowing in you that you have not felt before ~ Rajneesh

Anything that anyone gives attention to, becomes true

Only an acceptance of both the flowers and the thorns can bring you peace. Peace, after all, is the fruit of total acceptance ~ Rajneesh

th?id=OIP.aeseuMGqdOt2wPAtpNM3mQHaG7

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Lao Tzu says, "Accept yourself. Non-acceptance is the root of all the trouble. "None of us accept ourselves. The more a person doesn't accept himself, the greater the mahatma he looks to others to be. We are our greatest enemy. If we had our way, we would cut ourselves to peices in order to remove what was unacceptable ~ Rajneesh

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content