login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

new★★The Rabbit Effect-book {kindness is a practice/kindness is a science}

The Rabbit Effect: Live Longer, Happier, and Healthier with the Groundbreaking Science of Kindness

Looking forward to reading this book. Kindness is not a foreign topic to us at bmindful, though the points raised in this book with scientific studies seem like an awesome read! Book club worthy? We often mention starting a book club on Bmindful, and sharing about ideas/feelings/thoughts. This one inspired me!much love,inspired-selfcare♡˚

52 min 38 sec

“express your love for family... in a way that feels comfortable to you,” “cut down on activities that distract you from paying full attention,” and “lock eyes more with those you love”—even “for longer than feels comfortable.”Kelli Harding. Atria,  (256p) ISBN 978-1-5011-8-4260

The 'rabbit effect', how to live longer and healthier It wasn't diet or genetics that made a difference in which rabbits got sick and which stayed healthy. It was kindness.link Harding’s book will leave readers with much to ponder and, if not a surefire solution for better health, an encouraging rationale for treating others more kindly. Agent: Don Fehr, Trident Media Group (Sept.)

"It wasn't diet or genetics that made a difference in which rabbits got sick and which stayed healthy. It was kindness."

Join us as Dr. Harding sits down with Lloyd I. Sederer, MD, the National Council on Behavioral Health's 2019 Doctor of the Year, to discuss her new book!

• For all of its rigor and science, medicine is full of stories—mysteries—that doctors and research cannot explain.
  • Patients who are biologically healthy, but feel ill. Patients who are biologically ill, but feel healthy. What if these health mysteries could teach us something about what really makes us sick—and how to be healthy?
  • When Columbia University doctor Kelli Harding began her clinical practice, she never intended to explore the invisible factors behind our health. But then there were the rabbits. In 1978, a seemingly straightforward experiment designed to establish the relationship between high blood cholesterol and heart health in rabbits discovered that kindness—in the form of a particularly nurturing post-doc who pet and spoke to the lab rabbits as she fed them—made the difference between a heart attack and a healthy heart.
  • As Dr. Kelli Harding reveals in this eye-opening book, the rabbits were just the beginning of a much larger story. Groundbreaking new research shows that love, friendship, community, life’s purpose, and our environment can have a greater impact on our health than anything that happens in the doctor’s office. For instance, chronic loneliness can be as unhealthy as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day; napping regularly can decrease one’s risk of heart disease; and people with purpose are less likely to get sick. Through provocative storytelling and compelling research, Harding presents a new model for you to take charge of your health.
  • At once paradigm-shifting and empowering, The Rabbit Effect shares a radical new way to think about health, wellness, and how we live. Dr. Kelli Harding is an assistant professor of psychiatry at Columbia University Medical Center.
  • She is a diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, as well as boarded in the specialty of psychosomatic (mind-body) medicine. Kelli works in the emergency room at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, and has appeared on Today, Good Morning America, NPR, The New York Times, Medscape, and US News & World Report.
  • Lloyd I. Sederer, MD, is Adjunct Professor at the Columbia School of Public Health; was for 12 years the Chief Medical Officer for the NYS Office of Mental Health, the nation's largest state mental health agency - and continues there as Distinguished Psychiatrist Advisor. His writings have appeared in the New York Times, WSJ, Washington Post. Scientific American, Psychology Today, Commonweal, The NY Journal of Books among many other publications. He was Medical Editor for Mental Health for the HuffPost, where over 250 of his posts were published. He has served as Mental Health Commissioner for NYC; Medical Director/EVP for McLean Hospital, a Harvard teaching facility; and as Director of Clinical Services for the American Psychiatric Association. He has written hundreds of articles on mental health, the addictions and book, film, TV and theatre reviews, and has published a dozen books. Dr. Sederer is the 2019 recipient of the Doctor of the Year award from The National Council on Behavioral Health. He is a Co-Founder of SessionTogether. He recently created and now directs Columbia Psychiatry Media.
  • His new book, now in paperback, is The Addiction Solution: Treating Our Dependence on Opioids and Other Drugs (Scribner, 2018).

“beautifully identifies kindness as an endlessly renewable resource—the light we all can shine on the lives of others and in so doing bathe in its grace ourselves.”

PodcastThe Rabbit Effect: Live Longer, Happier and Healthier with the Groundbreaking Science of Kindness

In this episode, you'll learn:

• Our day-to-day social environment is key to our health and extends far beyond the doctor’s visits.
  • Health is about creating positive connections to those around you and learning to navigate challenges and stress.
  • To do what you can to create kindness for others.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’m getting that book! 

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

In response to Poppy's post:

awesome Poppy!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I am excited about this book. I watched about 1/2 of the video and was convinced I wanted to hear more about how kindness can make a big difference in our health. I downloaded the book on Audible and will go through it in the next couple of weeks. I needed to hear about this research yesterday. 

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

In response to inspired-selfcare♡˚'s post:

Poppy's post

Thank you for posting this book.  I believe the basis of what she is saying.

Happiness is a really healthy habit! Having a life time of joyful memories gives us such a wealth that we can draw from, at times when having those truly joyful memories matters.

Fantastic topic!

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.
Begin by finding this within ourselves before helping others.

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content