login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★★Why I Love Long-Winded Affirmations!

Hi guys!  I’m not much of a forum contributor, but wanted to mention something that is very near and dear to my heart. I mean, I have THOUSANDS of affirmations on this site, and handwritten into notebooks, and have used the power of mental programming to lock in some really joyful behaviors over time.

So I wanted to talk for a sec about why I luuuuuvvvv long-winded affirmations. 

Like, for starters, I can remember being a teenager in the late 80s and early 90s, when there were a lot of really dumb myths circulating about how to use affirmations to reprogram your own thought patterns and change your own future. Like, i remember reading where I was supposed to use ONE affirmation, and handwrite it hundreds of times, using exclusively the format given by the author. 

That format, was something like, “I, [INSERT FULL LEGAL NAME]...” (what, as though my brain doesn’t know who “I” means?) “... NOW AND FOREVERMORE MAKE SIX FIGURES AS A REIKI PRACTITIONER” (or whatever the end goal was). 

And being a little older and more savvy, I recognize that there are so, so many holes in this strategy, and have changed over to being someone who uses affirmations to cognitively rehearse, not just the end goal, but also the today goal, and the tomorrow goal, and and the two weeks from now goal, and all points along the continuum, really.

So, I like to get long-winded in my affirmations, cognitively rehearsing the beliefs, cognitively rehearsing the attitudes, getting more and more comfortable with the behaviors along the way, etc.

Like, for most of us, it would be a mistake to cognitively rehearse being a master jeweler, but never cognitively rehearse the processes of finding someone who can show you basic soldering, or pushing through the first 1,000 hours, where you make mediocre jewelry and sometimes downright bad jewelry that you immediately want to melt back down and have a do-over.

I draw my inspiration from how we are conditioned (against our best interests, if we’re really going to be honest!) into “liking” junk food and “liking” things we cannot afford. Advertisers say to us, “Wouldn’t a snickers bar feel good right now?” And they say, “Doesn’t this lady look happy wearing her Victoria’s Secret push-up bra?” And your friend says, “I love BMWs, they’re the only brand I will ever buy”.

And, so many messages come through in different ways, that we find ourselves acting out messages like, “It’s been a rough day, maybe I’ll get me a candy bar,” or “i feel insecure, maybe a purple push-up bra will give me the boost I need.”

What I am saying, is that I believe that we see the effectiveness of varied and repeated messages, so we should use that strategy for our OWN benefit. Meaning, we can benefit from rehearsing and reinforcing desired behaviors and attitudes until the 1,000s of messages sent to us by society, are now counteracted by the 1,000s of corrected messages we have given ourselves. Deep change is possible, but we’re up against a whole lifetime of programming.   

so, I’m not sure if that is interesting to anyone here, but I thought I’d share the rationale behind WHY I believe in 1,000s of affirmations, rather than just ten. :)

Feel free to contribute any like-minded philosophies or ideas, or (in a separate thread), your beliefs in something completely contrary or opposite!  All philosophies are supported here, and there is no limit of space on the internet! :)

love your thread! And I love when you contribute!

I was about to post a quote elsewhere... though it seems to fit here.

You're in the midst of a war: a battle between the limits of a crowd seeking the surrender of your dreams, and the power of your true vision to create and contribute. It is a fight between those who will tell you what you cannot do, and that part of you that knows / and has always known / that we are more than our environment; and that a dream, backed by an unrelenting will to attain it, is truly a reality with an imminent arrival.  ~★ღ✰˚ ✰Anthony Robbins

While I don't begin REALLY BELIEVING my day is war-like... I love what Anthony Robbins says about we've ALWAYS KNOWN!  {... that part of you that knows / and has always known / that we are more than our environment; and that a dream, backed by an unrelenting will to attain it, is truly a reality with an imminent arrival}

will be back to respond more soon(:

PS... I too love thousands of affirmations... and have known to love many 'long winded' ones!

PPS & love that you wrote: Feel free to contribute any like-minded philosophies or ideas, or (in a separate thread), your beliefs in something completely contrary or opposite!  All philosophies are supported here, and there is no limit of space on the internet! :)

...yes, you are awesome!

_________

I love the idea of 'correcting' reframing...messages and choosing with what gives us our unique boost!

_________

I came back(:

_________

I love the freedom self talk gives me!!

!_________

In response  to BrightAngel's post:

Some of my most favorite beautifully original affirmations  long affirmations  are from you -Bright Angel:

• It’s a wonderful sign of your mastery, that your behaviors and your time allocation, are well-aligned with your vision for yourself. You have a beautiful and strong vision for yourself, and that is something you feel good about.
      • and
      • What do you imagine it can feel like, to have the routines and the behaviors that lead to steadily on to your goals? You keep this blueprint in the back of your mind and you refer to it often

• The path of love is the master path, for inviting my intuition, my ability to leave an impact on my physical realm. It is my point of power, and I come into the habit of loving thoughts and loving states.
          • It has begun to feel really good to you, that the things you are training in, are already the jewels in your proverbial crown. You are viewed as a tremendous success, for the ways in which you find avenues for your unique beauty.
          • You honestly feel a wonderful sense of delight when you are able to press the reset button in your life, and start again fresh, with new ideas and new visions for yourself. You like how this feels and you are happy and free.
          • One thing that comes really naturally to you, is to display a mindset of “What else can I be doing to move this forward? And what else? And what ELSE?” You go forth swiftly in this way.
          • It is fun for me to remember that manifestation, and principles of manifestation, is best learned and understood when practiced as one’s daily life. And that’s exactly how I practice as a manifestor!
      • THANK YOU THANK THANK YOU

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to BrightAngel's post:

Hi BrightAngel! Thank you for your post!

I appreciate all that you've shared. I just love affirmations, and I definitely love what we are able to manifest in our lives from using our affirmations. 

Whatever the area of focus is on, using affirmations does bring about positive change and new possibilities arise out of our level of participation. Some affirmations are so powerful that it causes people to spring right into action!

I also love affirmations that are one liners by Rumi, my most beloved Persian poet. For example: "Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there."  Rumi has that effect, I read this - and I'm 100% there!! 

Anyway, what matters most is finding out what works best and keep using and creating with that. Strengthen what strengthens you!

“Radical Acceptance is the ability to face hardships with greater love and deeper awareness.
Contemplation shapes radical acceptance as a way to choose love and peace over anger and despair.
Begin by finding this within ourselves before helping others.

In response to BrightAngel's post:

...was giving some thought to societies messages and my affirmation discipline...

While I'm not immune to 'what the world thinks' ... I have realized that the combination of growing older and a 'serious' discipline of affirmations... has me truly not caring about expectations of others so much.. 

What I do care most about ... is going deeper to find out what I think, feel and desire. And I'm loving this growing level of knowing myself, daily discovery and manifesting... 

The enjoyment of authenticity ... which grows as I do, feels very good

Thanks again for this thread. This was good for me to get in touch with..

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to Kathi's post:

love this:

Strengthen what strengthens you!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I Love Long-Winded Affirmations because it is my own self talk dialogue which is creating more of what I love. If I need to say things with the depth my spirit resonates with, I am deeply joyous for the experience and the positive outcome that awaits.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content