login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★How you can make a sleep tape

Download a free program called Audacity. Plug a mic into your computer. Any cheap mic will do. In the top right corner of Audacity, you will use the drop down list to select the input. Get a list of the affirmations you want to work with. In the top left area of audacity there are some buttons. Click the red button to record. Read your first affirmation into the mic and then click the stop button. The stop button has the yellow square.

To listen to the affirmation you just recorded hit the button with the vertical line and the two left arrows. This takes the recording back to the beginning.
Now hit the green arrow button to play it back.

You probably didn’t like the way it sounded on your first go around, so look in the top left corner of the audio track you just recorded and hit the “x” to delete it. Now do it over a few times until you get it the way you like.

There are many ways you could do this, but I suggest that now that you have your first one recorded hit the “mute” button on that track.

Now, hit the button that takes the track back to the beginning. (Vertical line with two left arrows). Hit record and read your second affirmation.
Once you get it like you like you can use your mouse to copy and paste the new track to the end of the first track. Click the left mouse button on the wave form and drag your mouse across it to highlight it. Then go to the top of the screen and use the edit copy. Click at the end of the wave form on your first track to set the placement point and then paste your second recording at the end of the first.

Now that the two are joined, you can highlight the joined pieces and copy and paste them end on end until you are finished.

You will get the hang of this pretty quickly.

I am not sure of the best way to do this, but I did it like this.

I recorded something like,

“I am happy”
“you are happy”
“Jeff is happy”

pasted them end to end, then copies them over and over until I had about 30 minutes worth of affirmation that I wanted to work with.

You will need to export the file as a wav or mp3 to a folder and then burn it to a cd.

I pop it in the player just before bed, turn it pretty low and go to sleep listening to my affirmations.

Hope this is helpful.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

P.S.
I forgot to mention, be sure your cd player is on repeat so it plays over and over while you are sleeping.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I’m working on a sleep script right now. A friend of mine is really into it, he’s low tech, he has a tape recorder LOL, but he’s been doing it for years and he makes scripts for his kids…

Focus

GREAT post, thank you so much for sharing.

I especially like the way you repeated the affirmation from three different perspectives (third, second third person) I haven’t experimented with this technique myself but I’ve heard good things!

I’m away at the moment, but when I get back I’ll definitely be giving the sleep script a go!

Thanks again for sharing :)

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

I need to look into this one :O))) thanks

Love Life
Sue

I’ve been experimenting with this a little bit. I have gotten a little better at it through trial and error. I think the first second and third person thing really works. When you are dreaming, the other people in your dreams will be saying positive things to you. Also, as I have practiced I have gotten better saying the affirmations with more enthusiasm and genuine feeling as I am recording. This makes the recordings more effective. You will find that with practice that you can make your recordings more clear. At first they were rather muffled, if it is easier to hear when you are conscious, then I suspect it is easier to understand when you are asleep.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I used to use tapes alot when I was studying very new material from school. It was great! But, I never had a player that would repeat.
I would listen over and over when I was relaxing.
Then, I just would listen to it- until I went to sleep. I’d wake a bit-turn it over —-and then over. I would’ve loved to have had something that replayed. I did very well w/the replay method—Madcookieman, you’re right taping powerful affirmative suggestions are great!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I have been using other peoples recording of affirmations with pretty decent success, but I bet your own voice would be more powerful. Do you find that to be the case?

When I first started doing affirmations, I had to pretend I was an actress in a way. I had to “act as if” I was sincere and this was how life was. I experimented with using my voice in different ways… using my normal speaking voice, my speech voice, my “mother giving loving advice” voice, as well as having fun and using accents of other languages speaking in English… just to have fun. That was to keep me from getting bored and not because it worked any better. However, I am really going to work on the first, second, and third person in my affirmations to see if my results are quicker or deeper.

Thanks, CookieMan! PS: You don’t seem so “mad” to me!!! :)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

In response to meditatingmama’s post:
I like all of the ways you’ve said you tape. I know that I know this is powerful.

Cookieman, I’m a little paranoid about downloading programs. The computer I’m using isn’t what it used to be. Do you or anyone else know of a taperecorder brand and model that replays?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I don’t know specifically about a certain tape recorder, but I’m sure you could get one on e-bay for next to nothing. Audacity is a highly regarded freeware program though. I’m sure you could read about it on download.com. It might allay your fears about downloading it.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

P.S.
I keep making new cd’s as my outlooks improves and each new one is getting better. I am able to read my affirmations with more conviction. Even if I’m using the same exact words, by varying them a little it seems to keep them fresh.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Laurie, You could purchase a little MP3 player – they are very inexpensive these days – about $25 for 1 Gig (which should be plenty for affirmations.) You can record your own voice directly on them if you choose (please check this before you purchase, as I’m not sure if you can with all models) and it is very easy to set them on replay. This is one way of getting around using your computer. However, it is also easy to copy an MP3 file from your computer onto the player also.

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

I too have recorded affirmations, not necessarily as a sleep tape, but to use in the car, they could be used also to aid sleep. I have a small tape recorder and I played music in the background and recorded about 1 hours worth of affirmations. That’s quite a lot, let me tell you. I get them from different sites, from other bmindfulers profiles and from books. They constantly play in the background while I am driving my car and I find this helps me stay positive and bright through the day.
Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping I play Louise Hays’s tape “You can heal your life”, meditation and positive words, she has a very soothing voice.

Dear Goddess, I love Louise Hay and her Heal Your Life meditations. I call her “Grandma Louise” because she just feels like this loving, matronly woman who just oozes with genuine love for all.

I like your recommendations about the car and am going to try it. I have a lot of time that I could be using more effectively!!

Can’t remember if I posted this, but I did find some info that seemed very credible to me that said that was indeed very useful to write your affirmations like this:

I am…
You are…
(Your Name) is…
and
(Your Name), you are…

Also, can be helpful to use a short affirmation followed by a series of statements that answer “why”.

Example:
I exercise every day. Exercising every day absolutely energizes me and makes me feel fantastic and look great. It is amazing how much confidence I get from regular exercise.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Also, if you are using affirmations your conscious mind can resist statements that it knows are not true. For example, if you are fifty pounds over weight and your affirmation states that “I am slender and healthy”, your conscious mind will say “No you aren’t”. There is a way around this resistance. You do this by starting your visualization or affirmations with statements that will create no resistance. It can be very obvious things, but don’t use anything negative. It might sound silly, but it is a real thing. You can start b saying things like “I am Jeff”, “I have brown eyes and brown hair”. I am in my bedroom. And so on. This gets your conscious mind into a more receptive state. Then you transition into the other types of statements.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content