login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Self Talk as an Affirmation

Here in Kansas we are experiencing well below normal temperatures that hover around the zero degree mark with wind chill factors well below. This morning as I was awaking, the air was bitter cold. The last thing I wanted to do was get out of my comfy warm bed! I cannot remember all of the thoughts running through my head, but they weren’t pretty.

It suddenly occured to me that every thought I think IS AN AFFIRMATION! What kind of day was I setting myself up for with all those thoughts of self pity running through my mind? I felt my energy level being drained from my body even before my day was to start. Although it startled my husband and my daughter (who had snuck into my bed to keep warm), I shouted to myself “STOP!”

It was time to restart my day. I looked out of my bedroom window and the sun was a pale, beautiful shade of yellow. The snow in my backyard glistened in the morning rays. I saw my German Shepherd prancing around as if it were in the 50’s. As soon as I “cancelled” my prior thoughts and felt grateful for the day and all I had, my energy level immediately began to soar.

It made me ponder… for all the time I spend “doing affirmations”, I wonder how much is cancelled out by negative self-talk. Every word we speak; every thought we think is an affirmation. Our OWN words and thoughts are powerful keys to unlocking our potential, dreams and goals.

This morning was a wonderful reminder to use my power wisely – and for my benefit!

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Absolutely!

Even people who “don’t believe” in affirmations, or don’t even know they exist are using them all day every day, and they aren’t even conscious of this fact!

Affirmations can be both positive and negative, obviously this site focuses on the positive ones but you are right in saying that the negative self talk could very well be ‘canceling out’ your positive intentions.

It’s one reason why affirmations should be done throughout the day, in various ways (thinking them, writing them down, reciting them, listening to them on tape/mp3) and why they need to be well formed

If you’d like to know more about this, give the book ‘Think and Grow Rich’ a read, especially the crucial chapter on Autosuggestion.

Another good book on the subject is “As a Man Thinketh” by James Allen (which you can download for free here)

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

I absolutely agree with both of you—what we affirm to ourselves is IT.

It is always amazing to me when I reframe a less than “perfect” view on something, how a domino effect of beauty becomes created.

I have been using affirmations in many ways over the years—though Lee, I have to tell you, being involved with such a positive community has multiplied the good stuff.

Yes there are many things that I’m working on that have not YET come to fruition..But to me, that is not what it’s all about. It’s trusting the process and making every moment the best it can be with what is.

Thanks Lee and BMINDFUL COMMUNITY

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

check out the book The master key system by charles Hanaal.

I totally agree with you ~ absolutely true:)

If we can manage to “STOP” our train of thought
on the negative path ~ and turn it around ~ we
are winning.

I have been trying to do just that, and I have to work
on it every day to reinforce my thought patterns, turning
negatives into positives.

Its hard work, but if you keep doing it, you eventially
win, and hopefully it will come naturally.

Thanks for that useful information.

I agree and another thing we all can do is turn every negative thought into a positive thought or opportunity.

I agree totally. We have tapes that have been playing in our heads so long, we are not even aware of them unless we consciously listen for them. Usually the tapes are negative and positive self talk is the only way to change the tape. This has really worked for me. I can’t believe I have been walking around all of these years without paying attention to the self-chatter that is going on. Its also so powerful to know you can change it.

Thanks for all of your kind words!! I love the inspiration and advice!

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Changing negative thougts.

You eat the bar of chocolate in the fridge and you know you’re not hungry. Your self-talk might shout out. You’re so greedy, you’ll always be fat, you can’t lose weight, you haven’t got it in you.

Replace it with:

It’s just 1 bar of chocolate, I’m still on track, I love my body and I know I am working my way to my ideal body, I can do it. (I am in control)

As I start the new year out and think about goals and positive growth, one thing that I would like to focus on is removing the negative “stinkin thinkin” from my habitual thought patterns.

What are the ways you snap yourself out of these non-productive thoughts and move yourself forward? I’d love to hear your thoughts…

Its only when you start tolisten to your self talk that you realise how much negative stuff there is .I used to wake up and it would start ,i’m tired ,my back hurs ,im broke,fed up depressed,its raining ,this house is a tip ,

now i say thank you first of all because its a new day and i’m alive ,i’m gratefull for what i have ,i can change the things i dont like or i can accept them .It’s like having 2 voices in your head and by being aware we choose which one to make our reality .

The more positive i think ,the more things go right ,
meditatingmama i find journaling helps me become aware also especially if you just let yourself ramble on then read it back later .

I try to talk to myself as i would a freind ,i would not call them insulting names or put them down .

Louise Hay -” your thoughts paint a picture “

love flowergirl

In response to flowergirl’s post:
How wonderful!

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Yes, a wonderful post and great reminder to keep all the self talk positive at all times. Those little negative thoughts that creep up on you are the most dangerous and influential. Perhaps we should concentrate on them and turn them around when they pop up – rather than ‘try’ to ignore them, which inevitably makes them stronger in the subconscious mind, in turn increasing their ability to manifest.

I think I need to acknowledge my internal voice – especially when negative and quickly reassess it rather than letting it marinade in the back of my mind – the’dangerous and powerful ground’.

A full and thankful heart..

on a positive day i visualise the negative thoughts as little germs trying to attatch themselves inside me ,on a harder day i feel as though i have become a blob of hopelessness – i’m definatly a work in progress

I like the two voice thing you mention :-)

…what a wonderful world….

In response to meditatingmama’s post:
I keep trying different things. For a while or sometimes depending on the nature of the thought, I just reverse it and affirm the opposit.
Now reading ‘The Power of Now’, when I catch myself having them unwanted thoughts, I make myself conscious of NOW, feel myself and my surroundings. That way the thoughts go away also.
Another one he suggests is to step back and watch having the thoughts. This one I am not quit sure how, everytime I have attempted doing it the thoughts go away. So actually the result is as intended :-)

Great description and thank you.

YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE THINKING

God bless

Yes, for some reason I am having a broken record playing in my mind. My body is feeling the fear and the negative sensations even though it is only in my mind. Here is my plan:

1) Surround myself with positive audio (background noise of Hayhouseradio.com instead of mainstream news)

2) Go back to organic diet. I think that I am not doing myself any favors by ingesting so much high fructose corn syrup and caffeine!!

3) Make time for myself at the gym as well as my college courses (for me that is my fun-time).

4) Back to the basics!!!! Square one… one foot in front of the other… :)

Thanks to everyone who have me such wonderful input!!! Big Hugs!!

in response to aftab ,about the2 voices its as though there are 2 me’s ,one is the positive ,optimistic self that can visualise living my authentic life – home in the countryside ,working healing / caring for people or animals ,having peace of mind ,my kids all healthy and safe I’m dressed in hippy clothes ,very calm and my home reflects ny beliefs ,spirituality and hobbies and is a welcomimg space to everyone .

The other me is the depression voice that says you will be stuck here for ever,live in a housing estate with a lot of drug /alcohol abuse ,dont feel safe ,police sirens ,fights /shouting etc

.Im on benefits due to poor health myself and being single parent ,but want to get back to work ,as my daughter 20 is very poorly with anorexia it feels as though i cant leave her on her own for long .She gets very down as well as my youngest son 17 going through teenage mood swings and some verbal bullying at 6th form college so being positive can be very challenging and i feel guilty for being cheerfull

My home is a tip ,i need to lose about 30 lbs ,and i wear old jeans ,baggy t shirts and only put hippy tops and flowery things when i go out so i feel a mess at home

O n a good day i believe i will get to change my life
Change your thoughts – change your life “ is my mantra but those dark voices seem to overwhelm me a lot and im like a see saw going up and down .I tell myself if i decluter and clean up this house and care for it then the universe will help me find a new home – maybe the lesson i need to learn is to care for what i already have first -im gratefull i have a home but feel as though im withering like a plan surrounded by weeds

Im sorry to go on so long ,does anyone else feel like this ,love flowergirl

meditatingmama,well done ,you sound as thoughyouknew the answer in your heart and were having a wobble in your faith in yourself .Your plan is great ,stay stronglove flowergirl

I definitly relate to the two voices, we are constantly having conversations and discussions.

thank you aftab ,it helps knowingimnot the only one that feels like this ,how do you quiten the negative one ,and have faih in yourself

That healthy picture of what you see is you.
The other view of you will be almost nonexistent as you continue your routines that involve your evolving views of moving in that moving-forward journey of yours. You already are a star..and all you do toward your life is evident.

Your hippy shirts say you like comfort. If you want something different, you will create it in your mind—and then make it happen.

If you want a new place to live..you will create it in your mind, and opportunities toward getting a safer residence will happen..as you keep doing your footwork.

You are right where you’re supposed to be…to move in the direction of your choosing…always and forever..

Much love and prayers for your best dreams for you and your family (:

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

hi Laurie,thank you so much for your post.You are right about comfort ,i love anything hippy and my clothes and home will start to reflect that as my spirit comes out of hibernation and i grow gently by being kind to myself.I remember your words about nurturing our inner child and will imagine that litle girl inside if i start to put myself down .

Going to start a bmindfull journal today as i will be able to look backone day and see where i started from and the stepping stones that led me to a placeof peace ,joy and love in my heart and soul .My vision board will have a flowerpower camper van ,a kind,funny,spiritul husband,home in the country ,either a little cottage or a log cabin near or in woods/forest and some sort of caring work ,my kids healthy and happy – my perfect life .Going to polish my star ,bless you and thanks ,love flowergirl

i agree —- you become what you think about and even if itis not “technically” an affirmation, what you think about affects how you react to things

I am so gratefull these old threads are still here ,especially when i realise this is from a year ago and if i dont change my thinking my life wont change .Its time to start making that vision board and get out the crafts again .love flowergirl

Change in self begins with change in thoughts. One of my favorite thoughts is “Sexy is a state of mind”. You can change the word sexy to whatever you want to change about yourself. Soon you will not only begin to see yourself as and feel sexy , or powerful ,or rich. But others will begin to see you in that way as well. Even though the outside appearance doesn’t really change much if at all it is the new found confidence in self that can change ones countenance making them more approachable and desired by others.

Also not only do I turn negative thoughts around for myself but I try to project them onto other people. For example at the beginning of a work day when someone expresses within ear shot of me “I wish this day were over already” I say something like “ but then we would have missed out on all the fun in store” or “it’s only just begun and can’t wait to see what fabulous things are about to happen”.

Another way I turn negative thoughts around to positive especially at work is no matter how I am at the moment when asked ‘how are you’ I always reply AWESOME and walk away with a smile and a swagger.

Stop negative self talk, @Bryce Esch Esch & @Connie Hamon Brzowski Kaelin con & obviously @Diane Haan Lohmeyer Baker!!:

There’s no such thing as fiction. Our experiences are constructed within our own imagination. What we believe iz possible iz what we’ll experience. The life we’re living now iz only imagined in some of the minds of other infinite parallel versions of you.

I appreciate having fun and I am always surprised how fun shows up everywhere, and it is amazing how it is building new neural pathways for a more joyous journey.

ca3025d003cb4c3e6659bddc850912e4.jpg

See the source image

201a86ccfb36c292f5f56266aa580cb7.jpg

self-care.jpg

67438a8d6867113148e7dac7bf96f027--cognitive-behavioral-therapy-negative-self-talk.jpg

I am loving how I Am recognizing my perfect blessings.

I love choosing to accept that I Am capable, loving,and destined for all kinds of successes.

I Am creating a state of mind which compels me to unconsciously create my self-talk and inspired action in harmony with my Highest Good values.

I am thriving on the simple, authentic validation that can only come from myself.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I Am loving how I am recognizing my
perfect blessings I love choosing to
accept that I Am capable, lovable, and
destined for success. I create a state of
mind which compels me to unconsciously
create my self-talk and action in line with
my highest-good values. I believe in
myself today. I thrive on the simple,
authentic validation that can only come
from myself…

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to lyman's post:

and I agree-awesome material by Charles Hannel-The Master Key System

On this topic I would also see books and affirmations by David Richo, PhD

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

When I changed my self talk, I changed my life 😁

Anything that anyone gives attention to, becomes true

I too am so grateful about my  progressive understanding of self talk.

Words are treasures.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

03da145457fcb29484684ad9147e5644.jpg

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content