login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★ All About Sugar

• stats below quoted from a Dr. Mercola article:
In 1700, the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1800, the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1900, individual consumption had risen to 90 pounds of sugar per year.
In 2009, more than 50 percent of all Americans consume one-half pound of sugar PER DAY—translating to a whopping 180 pounds of sugar per year!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
• If you have almost 90 minutes to watch an interesting video entitled Sugar The Bitter Truth…educational TV from University of California
Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin.
• (covers lot of ground)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyone knows someone who has sugar issues..This thread is all about sugar.

Post wonderful links, article ideas, everything and anything that keeps your sugar totally balanced.

Note: You do not have to be diabetic to watch your sugar. Not only will keeping your sugar balanced if your diabetic, pre-diabetic, or simply sugar sensitive be a great healthy idea, but also for anyone making healthier choices.
Sugar Enough is Enough

EXERCISE CAN REVERSE PREDIABETES

Warnings to Pre-Diabetics from LiveStrong According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, progression to diabetes among those with pre-diabetes is not inevitable. Along with including healthy foods in the diet, it is important to avoid foods that lead to weight gain and cause a spike in blood sugar levels. /This involves cutting back on or avoiding fruit-flavored drinks, soda, tea or coffee sweetened with sugar, cakes, candy, cookies, crackers, pies, canned and package soups, canned vegetables, pickles, processed meats and others that are high in salt. Many of the above foods can be eaten occasionally and in moderation as long as healthy eating patterns are followed the rest of the time .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Exercise Meditation & Yoga
Beginner…baby steps…to Exercise-Jane Fonda
Beginner Yoga Meditation- Jane Fonda
What is the Glycemic Index from World’s Healthiest Food Site
Glycemic Index thread
low glycemic index
A Favorite Site of Mine-Mendosa.com for Comprehending the Glycemic Index, Comprehensive Lists and Areas for Continued Study
David Mendosa’s Site
Revised International Table of Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL) Values—2008 By David Mendosa
Below 4 Passages Below are Quotes from David Mendosa’s Site
David Mendosa’s Site
• [1] The glycemic index is about carbohydrates. Fat and protein have little immediate effect on blood sugar. The problem is that even among the complex carbohydrates not all are created equal. Some break down quickly during digestion and can raise blood glucose to dangerous levels. These are the foods that have higher glycemic indexes. Other carbohydrates break down more slowly, releasing glucose gradually into our blood streams and are said to have lower glycemic indexes.
• [2] The concept of the glycemic index is widely used in Australia, Canada, France, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. Last year the United Nations FAO/WHO Consultation on Carbohydrates recommended that “the glycemic index of foods be used in conjunction with information about food composition to guide food choices.”
• [3] While dietitians in the United States have been generally slower to recommend the glycemic index, three large-scale and long-term studies have recently given it considerable support. The prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association recognized the importance of the glycemic index two years ago in an article reporting the findings of the Nurses’ Health Study of 121,700 U.S. female registered nurses. The study concluding that eating foods with a high glycemic index appeared to be a risk factor for type 2 diabetes.
• [4] For even those of us in the best of health, remember that the average American is consuming much more sugar than the USDA’s recommendations.
• Read the Nutrition Facts and Ingredients listings on food labels for sugars. Pay attention to the serving size, including how many servings there are in the food package, and compare it to how much you actually eat. The Nutrition Facts includes both natural and added sugars.
• To find only the added sugars, study the ingredients listing. Remember that added sugar can go by many names, including dextrose, glucose, high-fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, honey, molasses and fruit-juice concentrate. The ingredients listing won’t tell you how much added sugar that food has, but the listing is in order of predominance.
• Remember that sugar in moderation is not a problem for most people. The problem is that most people don’t eat it in moderation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ So once again…Everyone knows someone who has sugar issues..This thread is all about sugar Post wonderful links, article ideas, everything and anything… that keeps your sugar totally balanced

Note: You do not have to be diabetic to watch your sugar. Not only will keeping your sugar balanced if your diabetic, pre-diabetic, or simply sugar sensitive be a great healthy idea, but also for anyone making healthier choices

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

hi Laurie thanks for this thread ,does sugar affect the brain and moods and is it addictive .GP says no but when colitis is really bad i just eat cut up apples,red grapes,and drink water ,peppermint tea and my brain feels unfogged.When i east stuff with sugar in i always want more and doing without is like trying to stop smoking

In response to flowergirl’s post:
I agree Flowergirl. Sugar is addictive and can become a substitute for a other addictions, such as alcohol or cigarettes. Its moreish nature makes it seem impossible to stop once started – or if possible, it takes LOADS of willpower and self restraint – which is a form of deprivation. Why should any one deprive themselves of simple needs and wants? The best way to keep sugar levels to controllable amounts is NOT to deprive youself. Thats leads to binges. So a little of what you fancy is key. Listen to your body so you dont go bazerk!
I like your cut up fruit and peppermint tea idea. Also other teas great for keeping cravings down are Fennel and Galangal, which are appetite suppressants – kinda like what smoking does. So its a healthy replacement for cigs!

A full and thankful heart..

hi anoushka ,i stopped drinking wine about 11 years ago as i was having a bottle each eveing and have had the morning /evening binges since then .With sugar im like an alcoholic once i have any just crave more until im too full to eat ,i had a bar of chocolate this morning instead of breakfast and im now weepy and am tempted to go and make a brew and eat more but trying not too .Struggling with depression and a total lack of motivation ,sorry to be so down

Thats ok flowergirl. You need to accept that this is the way you feel at the moment. I too have addictive behaviour so I can identify with the sugar thing. Also the caffiene will fuel this so try and stick to herbals where possible. Treat yourself to a hot bath and some self-love pampering. You wont feel like raiding the choccie box as much then. Also, when you do indulge, do it with love for yourself – NOT guilt! If you are telling yourself its wrong, you ‘entertain’ the addictive part of the brain even more and therefore want to over indulge.
I hope you feel better soon. Sending you love and peace of mind – and an extra big hug! x

Hey, maybe I should try and send you a rainbow from my heart as DB describes on prayer/healing thread! Here’s goes….

dear anoushka thank you for your kindness and the beautifull rainbow ,as well as the hug and peace of mind .I think reading Louise Hay would be a good thingto do tonight after a lovely bath .I have never linked the caffiene before but that makes so much sense ,bless you for being such a lovely freind

Louise Hay and a bath sounds like a better substitute for sugar to me!
Blessings to you also. Glad to be of help to you. :)

OMG, your Dr. says sugar doesn’t affect mood, and it doesn’t have some form of addictive-ness to it..Whew..I will be back on this one..but TOTALLY disagree with your doctor.

I will post some links soon(:

We need sugars..but the right kinds, in the right amts and the right times.

Sugar in the wrong forms and the wrong amts. at the wrong times (and more true for some than others) is Poison.

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

hi again ,i have put a casserole in the oven with lots of fresh veg ,tin tomatoes and butter beans as well as quorn fillets for my tea and lads are having sausages ,mash and beans – i cared for myself enough to make my own healthy meal ( theydont like some of my stuff )and im going out for a little walk in the fresh air ,i think db’s lovely rainbow is working .Love flowergirl

Where are you from flowergirl? It’s neat to me that you say “tin” instead of can and “lads” instead of boys.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
Hey MCM – I bet she’s a Brit like me – I ‘get’ those terms!

Go flowergirl! Glad that rainbow worked! :)

hi m c m ,im a lancashire lass from england ,grew up 10 miles from liverpool so there is a bit of a scouse accent.Lads is a wigan name for males from birth – 100 they are called lad .My dad was from yorkshire so im quite a mixture really .My kids are half english/half welsh .love flowergirl

There’s a great little free program called Teamspeak that would be really cool to use on bmindful, but it might make people less inclined to “post” their thoughts and, hence, sort of work against the purpose of the site, but still it’s a cool thought. Gamers use teamspeak to speak to each other in real time while they are playing games online. Wouldn’t it be neat to hear each other’s accents?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

just been reading through this old thread .

Although I’m more spiritual than religious I like to give up something for lent .
Last year it was t v
This year I’m thinking of giving up things containing sugar – cookies/chocolate/cakes etc
and processed food – ready made lasagne,macoroni chees/pizza/pies etc

and replacing them with home made meals ,home made flapjacks using honey,lots of fruit and veg ,brown rice ,salads ,herbal teas .

My body feels as though it’s running on empty ( no energy ) and this will help in many ways .

love flowergirl

I am a type 2 Diabetic. I do have to limit my carbs, but I can enjoy them in moderation. Sugar is addictive, but necessary, in my opinion, so I have to measure how much I consume at a time. The healthier you eat, the better you will feel and feeling good is very good.

I know I sound like a bore, but with sugar, less is more!

Words are like seeds. When you write them out, they grow into your dreams and spark the imagination of others.

In response to Poppy’s post:

Excellent Poppy. I myself use Agave syrup it is delicious and better for you. I still use it sparingly. Even Honey is good for you but that too I use sparingly. Fungus is a big part of having sugar cravings because it needs it to survive and make your life miserable. Medical drugs cause a lot of fungus problems amongst other things especially antibiotics that rob the healthy bacteria in your stomach. Thus causing many fungus problems in the body and your body looses it’s defense to it.

Doctors argue with me but I “know” that’s the cause. I was bombarded as a child with antibiotics and it caused severe fungus problems. Had I taken pro-biotics I would have been better off. I do not take medications lightly because I have seen what they have done to people. In emergencies and to save your life I believe in them at that time. After that I look to myself to heal my illnesses. SUGAR=POISON! The bad part is that it is sooo tasty! ):

hi Poppy and Mary ,
my friend called round tonight and she has similar jealth problems – osteoarthritis,fatigue, extra wieght and low mood and she has been going to clesses and the gym at a new center in town .

I’m going to join and really start caring for my health .

Looking forwards to healthier food ,no sugar binges ,energy and improved health and less pain .
love flowergirl

well I fell of the health wagon but I’m starting again .

For years I have eaten chocolate /cookies in bed ,last thing at night and first thing in the morning .It has been a way of stuffing down emotions and feelings but I’m healing so many things and want to break this habit .

The gym is not for me but I go for walks daily and am going to learn yoga .

Any help/encouragement with the sugar would be appreciated

love and peace Flowergirl

make acompromise with yourself,the first thing to tell yoursubconscious mind is,we are gradually gonna stop sugar.Starting friday or sat.no sugar in the morning but you can overindulge at night,after a week of no morning sugar,then consider tapering off night sugar,but even if you only stop morning sugar you,ll notice a change in your vitality and mood,then some basic gentle yoga,and you,ll be stopping the night sugar before the end of next month,so your first goal is to stop the daytime sugar by fri. or sat. setting these minature goals is the way to accomplish the ultimate goal,because you don,t put so much pressure on perfection,instead you accomplish mini goals,that will make the process easier and theres no such thing as failure you follow a course of action and you produce a result.

Once you get to know Twain, you’ll never be the same.

thank you ezdoesit,I like your suggestion ,baby steps that move you forwards are better than giant leaps where you fall over aren’t they .

An increase in energy will be wonderful and yoga is something I have wanted to learn for years .
love and peace flowergirl

This might not work for everybody, but I find the more delicious fruits I keep in the house, the less I crave processed sugar.

• stats below quoted from a Dr. Mercola article:
In 1700, the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1800, the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar per year.
In 1900, individual consumption had risen to 90 pounds of sugar per year.
In 2009, more than 50 percent of all Americans consume one-half pound of sugar PER DAY—translating to a whopping 180 pounds of sugar per year!
• If you have almost 90 minutes to watch an interesting video entitled Sugar The Bitter Truth…educational TV from University of California
Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin.
• (covers more than obesity with regard to sugar)

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

heres a video I recieved today ,it i about 43 minuites long and well worth watching .

Hungry for change

very thought provoking,love flowergirl

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content