login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★Musicians?

Any musicians here? What do you play?

Yesterday I was invited to bring my Shakuhachi to a “jam”. The aim was to get some people together and record some meditation music.

WOW, it was in the flow. Amazing.

One guy played sacred drums and chanted in Sumerian. So powerful. Another added digeridu. Indian flute a bit of guitar. WOW.

I feel in my bones, I am embarking on a more coummunal way of playing my Shak. I’m excited :)

Focus

Wow Freya, that sounds like such an awesome experience!! Very exciting for you, indeed! Congrats!

I play keyboards and piano, but am primarily a singer. I also use to play trombone in marching and concert bands in high school… lots of fun. I’m considering learning dulcimer or harp, but would have to find the time to put into that. :)

Great to meet another bmindfuler who’s a musician! Yea!

Kim

hi all, I play the piano but haven’t had the chance in recent years so probably would be a bit rusty. Picked up the guitar not long ago and seemed to be able to bash out a tune, but finding practice time is hard. Maybe over the holidays ?

The local church is advertising for bell ringers. They’re still building the tower. Now if I had the time, I’d go for it :)

Kim, do you play in a group? What sort of music do you sing?

F

Focus

Bell ringers!!?!? that’s awesome.

we hear the bells from the church/university hall near our house, we can’t work out exactly where they come from yet. It’s such a cool sound to hear coming from the city.

Hey Freya,

No, I compose my own songs and instrumentals using piano and keyboard… I can’t really define what genre you’d put my music into… much of it sounds distinctly Celtic… I draw from so many influences and genres that I have no idea where my songs would fit, really. Now if I can just get up the courage (and the cash, LOL) to go into a studio and record the stuff! :)

I agree with Mel… bell ringers are awesome! It’s such a wonderful, merry sound!

Kim

Kim,

We are so lucky here – there are several people in the mountains that have their own recording equipment at home.

One of my friends started a record label up:

“Altruismusic has 3 distinctive features: it releases music by artists who address important issues in a non-violent way, it subsidises recording costs for such topical artists and proceeds from online sales are split between artists and causes including: Amnesty International and Blue Mountains Animal Liberation.”

I would like to release a meditation/healing cd for healing practitioners like Reiki or Massage therapists.

F

Focus

Freya,

Altruismusic sounds absolutely awesome! That’s so fabulous! Best of luck with recording the album… I’d love to spread the word for you when it’s done. I can also recommend a fabulous world-wide distributing company that several friends of mine use for their music. It’s called CD Baby. I often write reviews for artists on there.

Kim

In response to melt86’s post:
In response to Kim’s post:
In response to freygan’s post:
Do any of you have any music you’ve done, that you can put on the site for us to hear?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I’m trying to get my computer set up so I can do some home recording. I bought Sonar 6 software and a Yamaha keyboard. It’s a little bit involved and I am still trying to get it figured out. It will probably take me a few weeks to understand how to do it properly, but I think it will be well worth it. I have recorded in “real” studios before and know to do it well can add up to a lot of money real fast. I have a few songs on the net you guys can find. I have played the guitar for about 30 years. I played the drums for about 10 years and got pretty good for a while but it’s been a while and I’m pretty rusty now. I can kinda play the piano, but I don’t generally write at the piano. I plan to do more when I get this software set up. I sing a little bit, I’m not great, but when I get warmed up I’m passable. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been compared to Cat Stevens which is odd ‘cause I never really listened to him.

I love the bagpipes, but I can’t play them. I would love to see the Tatoo! I would also love to learn the Bouzouki (that’s sort of a giant mandolin) buy I’ll probably have to take that up in another life.

Do you guys believe in parallel universes?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
— Gandalf, J.R.R. Tolkien
I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I haven’t been posting much lately because I have been pretty busy, but I thought I might add some stuff that I think is useful for musicians. Maybe some more of you could share.

Something I plan to work on is Ear Training

Also, for those of you who play guitar or are trying to learn. I have been playing for about 30 years and have bought many books. A couple that I really wish I had had when I first started are these
Guitar Guru by Karl Aranjo
If you are just beginning or have been playing for a while these books could easily knock several years off your learning curve. I am very sincere in recommending these.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to themadcookieman’s post:
I used to play classical guitar when I was teenager, so picking up the electric guitar was a revelation, it’s so immediate and LOUD! I don’t play much guitar these days though.

Focus

In response to freygan’s post:
I for one would love to add to my music collection some Altruismusic, I am always looking for something different to add to my massage room. Where might one find a sample?

In response to freygan’s post: 40+ years ago, while in the Military, I was stationed in Germany, in a small farm community near a large city. On Sunday evenings many of the Churches would have their bells tolling. The sound was delicious. I remember it as if it were 40 minutes ago.

Bagpipes have a wonderful sound. Each year for the past 7, I have been involved with the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life in our community. At 10PM on the night of the event lights are dimmed, the path is illuminated only by paper bags made into “luminarias” with names of those people who have succumbed to or survived cancer. It is all very moving. The folk assembled travel around the ‘circle of hope’ lead by a group of pipers playing. I wish I had video of that to share here. It’s got to be experienced. Now, that’s not the only time I’ve heard pipes playing, but it’s the most notable.

Finally, I love to sing. I don’t do it professionally, never had any real training but I ain’t half bad. I sing in my church choir and have sung at choral festivals for the past 5 years. One of the festivals I sing at attracts nearly 1000 voices! look. I can pick out harmony of anything I’ve heard on a piano but am certainly a pianist. I guess I’m a wannabe musician.

Blessings,
Bruce-
Each Day Is A New Gift From God!

I’ll check out the altruis music site Freygan and the site you linked to Bruce. Kim, I’ve thought about adding some of my stuff to CD Baby but haven’t yet. I need to get on the ball. What recording software do you use. I just got Sonar 6 Home XL, but I haven’t gotten proficient with it yet.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

I don’t play any instruments, but I have been composing a series of personal growth songs on my Mac. It’s a lot of fun. I have been doing it for years and they work for me. I guess that’s kinda musical

You know, I love music and just reading about all that you talented artists are doing makes me so happy. When I was in 6th grade, the vocal music teacher told me that maybe I would be more successful in band. Two weeks later, the band teacher begged the vocal teacher to bring me back!! OOoooooohh, to have talent… :)

Please, if you all can put it online for all to enjoy, that would be so awesome!!

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

In response to meditatingmama’s post: your 6th grade teacher must have gone to the same school as my 5th grade teacher. She told me to learn how to type (regarding my penmanship!)

You have all the talent it takes to be a great Mom, that’s not an easy task, I’m sure.

As long as there’s music in your heart, the world can ‘hear’ it in your voice and see it in your smile.

Blessings,
Bruce-
Each Day Is A New Gift From God!

You don’t have to have a great voice to be a great singer, you just have to have a great heart. You definitely have that.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

In response to ThisIsBruce’s post:

and torture my children in the car :) :) :)

I am living in many dimensions at once; the appearance of being trapped in time and space is only an illusion.

Thank you, CookieMan!!

In response to realexpectations’s post:

What app do you use on your mac?

I’ve got a copy of a karaoke progarm for a pc, but my pc is so sloooowwww. I love to sing even though I’m not great at it, it makes me happy :)

Focus

In response to Freygan’s post:

I use the “Garage Band” that comes with iLife. It works pretty well. I just record my affirmations in there, then drop them into a track. Add the music and presto.

I just thought I’d share some pics with you. The guy who owns this studio is the guy who recorded my stuff a few years back. We recorded in a small studio behind his house in Little Rock, Arkansas. He’s actually a pretty well known music guy, a fantastic guitarist, and a really nice guy. I haven’t talked to him in a few years, but I just e-mailed him ‘cause I thought I might have him mix down some of my old tracks so I could do something with them, even if it is just as part of a resume type thing. I did a search for him, Barry Poynter, and found this site with a pic of his new studio! Man, is it beautiful, or what? Anyway, I just thought I’d share. Hope he’s not too high falootin’ these days to mix my stuff!!!

Poynter’s Palace

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Fancyyy… I am sure he is more than happy to mix your stuff.

…what a wonderful world….

I love to sing and usually sing all kinds of music. Mainly anything with soul where you use your emotions. I love to sing at Karaoke clubs there is so much talent. There have been a few times that people hear me and want me to be in their band. When I was young that was my hearts desire but now it is something I do just for fun. People who write their own songs is so fantastic to me.

Some of us have been talking about putting on a show and immitating famous singers. My favorite is Janis Joplin although I do not sound just like her it’s still fun. Right now I would love to have lessons in playing the harmonica. I own one but need some help on how to start playing it. It’s great when you hear someone play the blues on it.

Here is one song I sing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah1cvL_ez-M&feature=related

Peace,
Mary

As long as I’m posting pics, I thought I’d share a couple of my guitars. I really need to start playing again! I could bore you guys to death about guitar stuff! I’m so thankful that these weren’t destroyed in the fire I had a while back. That fire had a profound affect on my life, it’s part of what makes who I am.

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Good afternoon,
I play guitar. Rather I use to play a lot. But not so much nowadays. I stumble across this website looking for information on positive thinking. I read some of the articles, and some of the threads. I decided to join.

Michael

Be sure to drop by the “introduce yourself” thread and tell us more about yourself. Glad to have you on board!

I’m Alright
Life Less Ordinary

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content