login to bmindful Sign up for your FREE bmindful account!

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

★It's all about the brain /mind- thread

will revise this thread eventually(: It’s from 2008-2009 (links need to be located…some missing)

feel free to add to(:

thread-getting better all the time/adult brain

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDjPAY2Kop3UD-ma_2ItLaSd2oeCL20hZsrmaXBfJSLmk_CNdu

b95d3afeb1c85faf0c3d97448600f45e.jpg

Embedded.jpg___________________________________________________

will revise this thread eventually(: It’s from 2008-2009 (links need to be located…some missing)

It’s all about the brain /mind- thread
This thread is for anything you’d like to save/share re:brain/mind. Bmindful has been a variety of things over the years to me…One thing I’ve enjoyed besides the positive energy, and information…is a place to simultaneously share & bookmark enjoyable/useful things(:

saved for videos:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Videos
❤Heart Smiling Technique
How Your Heart❤ Produces Energy
Your heart is the organ of your body that produces most energy. This video describes four interesting but little known facts about your heart that will change the way you use your heart to improve your energy and your relationships.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ** mindfulnet.org
      Quick Links
      A brief introduction to the brain
      Right Brain and Left Brain
      Right brain, left brain and mindfulness
      What happens in our brains when we meditate?
      NEW!! The neuroscience of emotion control
      NEW!! Neuroscience improves cognition

Left_brain_right_brain.jpg

ad1c93147531a5fdba60e66f00f1856d.jpg

Brain-on-music.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

•  How Your Brain Works
    •  The Human Brain
    •  The Behaving Brain This program discusses the structure and composition of the brain: how neurons function, how information is collected and transmitted, and how chemical reactions determine every thought, feeling, and action.
    •  Animation of a neuron firing
    •  The Responsive Brain How the brain controls behavior and, conversely, how behavior and environment influence the brain’s structure and functioning are the focus of this program.
    •  Brain Fitness Tips
    •  Move Your Feet Grow New Neurons
      A new study led by researchers at Columbia University provides the first evidence in humans that a structured exercise training program increases neurogenesis—the birth and development of new nerve cells—in a memory hub of the brain.
    •  Physical Exercise for the Brain
    • “Index of Biographies
      In the Neurosciences”:http://www.cerebromente.org.br/biografia.htm
    •  Milestones In Neuroscience Research-Chudler

•  Cranial The cranial nerves are 12 pairs of nerves that can be seen on the ventral (bottom) surface of the brain. Some of these nerves bring information from the sense organs to the brain; other cranial nerves control muscles; other cranial nerves are connected to glands or internal organs such as the heart and lungs.
  •  Neuroscience for Kids-Chudler
  •  Society for Neuroscience
  •  Brain and Mind Articles
  • “Using the Mind
    To Change the Brain”:http://www.wisebrain.org/slidesets/SlidesHansonGoogle.pdf

•  TED VIDEO Bradley Voyek
    Bradley Voytek is completing his Ph.D. in Neuroscience at
    the University of California, Berkeley. He studies the role of brain rhythms and electrophysiology in attention and memory by working with patients with electrodes implanted in their brains, patients who have had portions of their skull surgically removed, and patients with brain lesions. By working with these rare groups of people and using
    sophisticated analysis methods he aims to learn how the brain communicates to improve patient outcomes.
  •  How Much Can the Brain Process?

Other Threads,Posts, Articles, Sites Which Are Related
Exercise Benefits Brain Health

13 videos [1]What is Biofeedback and Neurofeedback? [2] How the Mind Affects Health [3] The Psychophysiology of Health & Recovery[4]biofeedback builds self efficacy hope and welling[5]coping with stress, biofeedback, self mastery beyond pills [6]neurofeedback therapy research[7]Willmarth Psychophysiology brief assessment mp3[8]neurofeedback training your brain[9]psychophysiology galvanic skin conductance(GSC) or electrodermal activity(EDA)[10]psychophysiology heart rate variability[11]neurofeedback therapy anxiety and panic disorder[12]biofeedback for stress related health [13] biofeedback session demo

• ___________
    •  The Gift of Neuroplasticity
      Your brain changes all of the time. What was once described merely as learning now has a neuro- label: neuroplasticity. Neuroplasticity is notion that mental experiences and mindfulness can change the actual structure and function of the brain. The idea of neuroplasticity is good news because it means we can change and grow up until our very last days of existence. It can also be bad news if we don’t attempt to direct our brain toward experiences that will change our brain for the better. ***to read more***
    • ___________
    • ☼• ► How to position your goals—financial or otherwise—beyond your sub-conscious mind to speed up getting desired results.
      [a heads up major sales for her product at the end of video….]
      The following written by Mary Rivas…author of video above.
      The first step to growing personal power is becoming aware of how our mind works!

Your brain is made up of billions of brain cells, which use electricity to communicate with each other. Every second of your life, brain cells generate electrical patterns that change depending on your thoughts, emotions and your physical well-being. These patterns of electrical activity are essentially electric waves that emit electro-chemical impulses of varied frequencies, which are known as “brain waves.”

There are five brain wave patterns: Beta, Alpha, Theta and Delta and Gamma. Your brain typically has all the brain wave patterns happening simultaneously, with one of the brain wave frequencies being dominant at any given time. This dominant brain pattern indicates your “mind state” or “level of consciousness.”

Each mind state has distinct functions and abilities:

Beta

In beta, the brain wave frequency is fast, between 14-30 pulsations per second. We spend most of our waking hours predominantly in beta

Have you ever tried to quiet your mind but found that it was impossible to stop thoughts from zooming in from every direction? Or, maybe you’ve had the experience of not being able to remember an answer when you felt tense? That is the beta mind state. It is a state of constant mind chatter

Research has shown that this mind state is often associated with stress-related symptoms such as anxiety, worry, poor sleep and nervousness. When a person is in the beta mind state, the potential for advanced learning and healing overall is less than in the other brain states. Also, a person’s ability to experience emotional breakthroughs tends to be limited in this mind state

Although excessive beta does have limitations, the beta mind state does serve many important functions. This level of consciousness is also associated with a state of alertness and focused concentration. When your mind is engaged in mental activities, such as logical analysis, sports or conversation, the dominant brainwave state will be Beta

Alpha

Alpha brain waves are slower in frequency than beta. They slow down to 8-13 cycles per second–about half that of beta

Alpha is the bridge to your sub-conscious mind. It’s a doorway into your deeper mind powers

People most commonly experience the alpha mind state when they are close to falling asleep, watching television or reading a novel. This level of consciousness is associated with contemplation, visualization, problem solving and creativity. In this mind state, you have a greater potential for learning than in beta. What takes years to learn in beta, can take just months in alpha

Theta

When your brain waves slow down even more, you are in the theta mind state. In theta, brain wave frequencies slow down to 4-7 cycles per second

People most commonly experience the theta mind state when they are in profound relaxation, meditation, and when entering sleep and just upon awakening. If you have ever spent several days alone in the wilderness, such as a forest, chances are that you were consciously in the state of theta. Unfortunately, most people do not actively use this mind state because they fall asleep when they are deeply relaxed.

Research has shown that regular theta meditative practices can greatly reduce the need for sleep. This can be one way that you can have more hours in the day to get things done in your life while improving your mental and physical health

The mind state of theta is associated with emotional breakthroughs, mental reprogramming, high levels of creativity, increased intuition, the production of pleasure-causing endorphins and anti-aging hormones, such as human growth hormone (HGH). Since theta brain wave patterns are associated with creativity and inspiration, it makes sense that many scientific breakthroughs and inventions have resulted from intuitive hunches and mental imagery

The deeper states of theta are also associated with intuitive abilities such as remote viewing

Delta

In delta, the brain wave frequency slows down further to 1/2 to 3 cycles per second

We experience delta during dreaming and in profound meditative states. Delta brainwave states are associated with healing—physical as well as emotional—and spiritual experiences of transcendence and ecstasy~

Brain research has shown that in theta and delta mind states, we can dramatically reduce the production of aging hormones, such as cortisol. Cortisol increases blood sugar, blood pressure and reduces immune responses. It also interferes with learning and memory, and in general harms the body. It is known as the “stress hormone.”

The delta mind state offers far more than health, mental and emotional benefits….

The delta mind state is magical

Shamans, mystics, and saints for eons have entered delta mind states to transcend ordinary human capabilities and experience extraordinary mind powers. The potential to mind travel, communicate with plants, communicate with people at far distances and experience miraculous healings are possible in this mind state.

Few people know how to consciously use this powerful mind state because when people enter delta, they lose conscious awareness. However, it is possible to train yourself to remain awake while reaching this mind state.

Gamma– “Super Beta”

The gamma brain wave state is the most recent mind state discovered. It is the most rapid in frequency, at least 30 cycles per second.

Since it is a new brain wave and is difficult to accurately measure it, there are different definitions for this mind state. Many researchers report that gamma brain waves are at least 40 cycles per second. Many researchers don’t distinguish beta from gamma waves, and refer to it as “Super Beta.”

Research as of today indicates that the gamma mind state is associated with high-level information processing and certain cognitive activities, such as analysis, creative writing and math, as well as with bursts of insights and holistic perception. Some researchers claim that the gamma mind state is the blissful state a person reaches after years of meditation.

• ___________
    The Future of Psychology: Connecting Mind to Brain Psychological states such as thoughts and feelings are real. Brain states are real. The problem is that the two are not real in the same way, creating the mind–brain correspondence problem. National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine 8600 Rockville Pike,Bethesda MD, 20894 USAto read more

Currently in this thread:
reference to affirmations 1
reference to affirmations 2
Jill Bolte link
Bolte book on Amazon-link

left brain right brain

Imagination_Ishareimage.jpg?itok=64l9D_Cj

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

What are your favorite areas of interest when it comes to the workings of the brain?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I recently read Jill Taylors book “My Stroke of Insight” after watching her video in Ted.com. Its a good interesting read about Right Brain Vs Left Brain. I am always facinated by the Idea of two hemishepheres having different personalitites.

In response to Rajan’s post:
Yes that was a wonderful video, Lee posted it today!

I am now wonderfully interested in getting the book too.

Below is a cool site on the brain that I like. Discusses the cross control of the brain. You can change the aspects of material you are reading by selecting Social, Psychological,Neurological, Cellular or Molecular.
You can also change the explanation to Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced
It is not as inspirational as the Jill Taylor Bolte video, though informative

An interactive site

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

WOW! I somehow missed this post and didn’t know this was being discussed already!

I’m listening to a podcast and this gets mentioned again! By coincidence, three times in the same day. It must be significant! :)

“How easy it is in our life, to miss what’s being offered.” — Paul Haller

I’m reading about her book and apparently she recommends affirmations and mantras as a way to remain positive and in the moment.

She uses these affirmations to “shift back into the consciousness of her right mind” – notice right, as in right hemisphere and right as in not wrong :)

“In this moment, I reclaim my joy”
“In this moment, I am perfect, whole and beautiful”
“I am an innocent and peaceful child of the universe”

She is an amazing woman!

“To experience pain might not be a choice, but to suffer is a cognitive decision.”

“The easiest way I have found to humble myself back into a state of peaceful grace, is through the act of gratitude. When I am simply grateful, life is simply great”

— Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor

She also uses “your right mind” and “your heart’s consciousness” interchangeably. Interesting that I called one of my recent posts about being in the moment “The Heart Moment”.

You can get her book on amazon but I’ve found a copy in my local library that’s due back in a week or so!

I’m interested on how the frontal lobe functions. I suffer from short term memory loss, learning difficulties and slower thinking process due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Thanks for the post Laurie!

I used to be an EEG technician in my youth :) I worked for a Neurologist while I was in Uni. I really got into writings by Oliver Sacks, he wrote The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat. I couldn’t put it down!

Focus

In response to freygan’s post:
Very interesting title. What did you get from the book?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

I too have read that book! It’s fascinating how his patients lost some parts of their brain functioning and not others.
I have another Sacks book on my shelf but haven’t read it yet – Awakenings. It too is about his patients.

In response to melt86’s post:

Did you see the movie with Robin Williams; Awakenings

Is it one of the same?

I AM
Peaceful:
Emotions, Sensations ,
& Feelings

In response to laurie’s post:
I’m not sure if i’ve seen it but yes it is based on the book. robin williams is good so i’m hopeful it would have done justice to Sack’s writing.

In response to laurie’s post:

From the book, I gained a good insight into how the brain worked via see how parts of the brain can actually affect day to day functioning.

Has anyone read Carl Sagan’s “Dragons of Eden” – great book on how the brain works. His son wrote another one, updated with more recent advances on brain science. I once read a text book on consciousness, an eye opener for sure! Made me think about how lucky I am to have a brain in the “normal” end of the spectrum.

I read Sack’s book “Without a leg to stand on” – it’s about his personal experience of being in a serious car accident and recover. Similar to Bolte’s experience of having a stroke. Being the patient rather than the doctor.

Focus

I wish i had more time to read stuff like that. Beleive me, i read plenty!
I’ve done personal research on how the conscious & preconscious work, very interesting.. Like i’ve mentioned previously i’m also interested on daily body functioning.

There’s no such thing as fiction. Our experiences are constructed within our own imagination. What we believe iz possible iz what we’ll experience. The life we’re living now iz only imagined in some of the minds of other infinite parallel versions of you.

There’s no such thing as fiction. Our experiences are constructed within our own imagination. What we believe iz possible iz what we’ll experience. The life we’re living now iz only imagined in some of the minds of other infinite parallel versions of you.

You can indeed be aware of your body, but you can also be aware of your mind - you can right now notice all the thoughts and ideas and images floating in front of the minds inward eye. You can, in other words experience your mind, be aware of your mind. And it's very important to experience your mind directly, cleanly, intensely, because only by bringing awareness to the mind can you begin to transcend the mind and be free of its limitations ~ken Wilber

Anything that anyone gives attention to, becomes true

d4dcb4c1a1401032e846b2f1f71b9faa.jpg

There is a horse from California called Disguysthelimit a play on words the sky is the limit.
yadayadayada

In response to rational inquirer's post:

great idea!

My definition of greatness

is to be greater than your environment,

to be greater than your body,

and to be greater than time.

And if you do, you will be great.

I mean, that’s it!” – Dr. Joe Dispenza

Jump to Top ^^

To get the most out of the bmindful forum, please sign up or log in!

Related Content